What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EFIS problem

pauldan181

Well Known Member
During post Condition inspection engine run my HXR would not align and kept displaying some bizarre parameter numbers. Nothing in the avionics system was touched during the inspection. Anybody with a GRT system ever see anything like this?

Attachments

• HXR.jpg
    HXR.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 96
During post Condition inspection engine run my HXR would not align and kept displaying some bizarre parameter numbers. Nothing in the avionics system was touched during the inspection. Anybody with a GRT system ever see anything like this?

Looks like maybe an AHRS "failure".

Make sure that it is getting power.

Make sure no connectors to/fomr the AHRS were dislodged a little during g inspection.

Save a DEMO file of this and send to GRT. They will be able to tell you what is going on inside.

You have ASI and ALT as well as all the other numbers, but what you don't have is attitude reference data so it seems you've lost your connection to the AHRS as JCLARK mentions above. Whether this is due to an internal failure or whether this is a simple "plug" issue cannot be determined without a bit of simple troubleshooting.

I'd be checking your plugs to make sure they're all fully seated and the screws are tight. Check to make sure there is power going to the AHRS and make sure your ground wire is also secure. These are the basics you'll need to do in order to get started down the road to fully understanding the problem.

Sadly, I suspect your attitude reference board might be the issue because it seems you have power to AHRS box in order to deliver ASI and ALT signals from the Pitot/Static sensors.

Please be sure to post the results of your troubleshooting.

Like the above two replies, I suspect wires dislodged during inspection. You may also consider removing the AHRS box and "gently" turning it upside down, sideways, etc. I was experiencing anomalies and found screws & nuts had become loose inside the box. I only found this by the "rattling" noise when moving the AHRS box. I opened the box, secured all the hardware, has worked as advertised since then.

GRT EFIS

The sub-D connectors sometimes need inspection and cleaning to improve signal transmission. Think of using a contact cleaner on the sub-D's.

Update

I saw that my EFIS SW Ver. was 2 rev's behind so I updated the SW to the latest and after the auto re-boot the AHRS was still dead. The release notes did reference several AHRS fixes and I did update my NAV database during the CI and all was ok then. I then did a target load of only the AHRS SW and after power up all was well. I don't know if the full power down re-boot or the AHRS reload fixed this but seems OK now.

FWIW, this GRT system has been rock solid for 10 years now.

Back