What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting resin off canopy

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Well I thought I did a good job taping off the canopy before I did my layups but I think I probably geo some resin in some unwanted places.

I‘ve seen kerosene is a good cleaner….any other thoughts?

Some others probably have good thoughts about resin itself, but if you get it to the point where you can use 600 grit, this "CA SCRATCH OFF" from Vans store does a really good job with scratches and it is easier than I expected. I had what looked like razor blade scratches on my plexiglass and it totally removed them without distortion.

You can’t remove dried resin without damaging the canopy in the process. Best to use mechanical means then polish the canopy with a DA polisher and compound.

You can’t remove dried resin without damaging the canopy in the process. Best to use mechanical means then polish the canopy with a DA polisher and compound.
Yes you can. Read Kyle's last post above. Built 2 Cozy MKIV's and this trick worked for us. Not a definite "it will work" in all cases, but sometimes it will. Most definitely worth a try before getting the sandpaper out.

I've sheared drops and runs off using a piece of wood. Epoxy doesn't stick that well to unprepared plexi.
Yes you can. Read Kyle's last post above. Built 2 Cozy MKIV's and this trick worked for us. Not a definite "it will work" in all cases, but sometimes it will. Most definitely worth a try before getting the sandpaper out.
I have had a run / drip of epoxy on paint. Was able to knock it off with side load using an epoxy mixing stick. IF the plexiglass was NOT ruff for the epoxy to bond, you MAY be able to get it off. You may need to use mechanical means to clean the area on the canopy off once the epoxy drip is gone. I have had excellent results with Novus #3 Heavy Scratch Remover. I have used Novus #1 and #2 products for almost 30-years. My bottle of Novus #2 is over 25-years old. When I have a hard time and not making progress with the Novus products, I break out the Micro-Mesh Lense Repair Kit. Both products linked to our VAF Aircraft Spruce advertiser. Both are available from Amazon but may cost more. The product Van's sells may also be great but I have not used it.

My 6A canopy had a gallon of epoxy spilled on it by previous owner so I got a deal on it. I sanded it all off using progressively finer wet or dry paper and have enjoyed it since 2005. Lots of work though!

I had a couple of small smudges on my canopy that I was afraid to do anything with, so I left them. About 2 years later, they had enough UV exposure that I was able to very lightly lift them off of the plexi with my fingernail!

Well I thought I did a good job taping off the canopy before I did my layups but I think I probably geo some resin in some unwanted places.

I‘ve seen kerosene is a good cleaner….any other thoughts?

Back