What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear leg fairings-on jacks.

Eztroller

Well Known Member
What are the concerns with completing the upper and lower intersection fairing steps while the plane is NOT on jacks?

What are the concerns with completing the upper and lower intersection fairing steps while the plane is NOT on jacks?

The angles formed between the gear legs and the fuselage and axles is different when the aircraft is on the ground vs inflight.

Which set of gaps do you want to have,in flight or on the ground? Most builders chose to set these fairings up with the aircraft in a flight configuration (on jacks).

Last edited:
Fairings

I came up with a pretty cool method. I wrote an article but Kitplanes hasn't run it. If you want to read a draft, shoot me an e-mail. Photo is worth quite a few words.
The beauty of using this steel is the airplane only needs to be high enough for the tires to spin and level. The jig comes apart to install then bolt back together. No need to slide a jig under the tire. Obviously the pants need center lines. The laser makes the whole job pretty easy.

20220922_130009.jpg

On round gear machines, there is merit to doing wheel pants, gear leg fairings, and intersection fairings at the same time, in flight configuration, level, and gear unloaded.
This allows you to treat these as a system and use the alignment tools, tape on the floor, plumb bobs, string, and tape measure in my day. (This all would be much easier with a laser, but same concept).
The risk of doing this with the gear loaded is you may introduce yaw, or excess drag, in one or more of the parts.
I would take Larry up on his article.

Back