What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gasket Material

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
All,

I am interested in making my own gaskets, particularly for the magnetos as the PMags require annual inspections. I have a cutter that will make these fine, I am just curious if anyone knows off the top of their head what kind of gasket material is used for this so I can buy sheets.

Thanks!

Charles

Great idea, making your own gaskets - I have done it occasionally when the right Lycoming gasket wasn’t in the parts box. Usually I am able to make one out of an existing (new) gasket I have on hand, so I haven’t bought raw stock.

In the case of the P-mags, the gaskets that Brad supplies work perfect, but are very, very thin - so one size gasket stock probably doesn’t fit all…..

Ok, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something specific, or a thickness to look for (or avoid).

They are very thin, tore a couple just trying to tear open the plastic bag!

Great idea, making your own gaskets - I have done it occasionally when the right Lycoming gasket wasn’t in the parts box. Usually I am able to make one out of an existing (new) gasket I have on hand, so I haven’t bought raw stock.

In the case of the P-mags, the gaskets that Brad supplies work perfect, but are very, very thin - so one size gasket stock probably doesn’t fit all…..

mangled the old gasket once & had to fly that weekend... Found a cardboard Corn Flakes box & cut out a gasket, lasted till the next condition inspection with no leaks!

Back