What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX-45R fault message

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi All,

Looking for some suggestions on troubleshooting my Garmin GTX45R.

A couple of flights ago I got a transponder fault message on my G3X after start up (in Oshkosh on departure!). I cycled the circuit breaker (VPX) and the fault cleared. Flew home IFR with no issues. Flew out this morning for breakfast and couple of friends mentioned that they didn't see me via ADSB although I could see traffic on my G3X. I had no cockpit indications of a fault. On start up for the return, fault message again, unable to clear it and showed traffic on the return leg.

The Garmin manuals offer no guidance. Trying to avoid the dreaded return policy of Garmin. Anyone have any recommedations or suggestions.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
If you have the config/SW upgrade program on your laptop you can plug into it and generally see what the failure is.

If you have the config/SW upgrade program on your laptop you can plug into it and generally see what the failure is.

But first, don't forget that the System Info page on the GDU 4xx (accessible either from the diagnostics menu or in config mode) generally contains a wealth of useful information.

Thanks guys! The message “ XPDR FAULT” appears in the data bar transponder box. I will check the config mode tomorrow.

Walt where would I find a copy of the software program to do the diagnostics?

Cheers Jim

I had this message on my previous 14A with the exact behavior. After some basic troubleshooting, sent it to Garmin for repair and they confirmed that the part that is responsible for echo/reply was kaput and had to be replaced. If I recall correctly, it was $500 flat fee repair. As part of that, they also updated the SW.

Funny (odd..not ha ha) that this happened to you on departure from OSH. My plane was parked the whole week there...in three downpours. On departure I suffered complete CAN bus failure. (Thank goodness I installed the optional RS232 backups from GSU25 & GEA24). It remained failed for 30 minutes in cruise until it fixed itself. Went from 100% failed to 100% operational. I have since run all the diagnostics on the CAN bus and flown it 10 hours with no faults.

Bottom line.. I'm 99% sure this was a moisture issue

My suspicions are that the GMU11 in the wingtip (one end of the CAN bus) was the culprit. I rewired the plug and changed out the CAN terminator. Sprayed LPS3 on the plugs in an attempt to moisture proof them.

Another plus. It was severe clear and I got to see what a CAN failure does to the panel inflight. A bit confusing at first with multiple red X's and fail messages (3 GDU's) but still had all the info I needed to complete the flight, even if I had been in IMC.

Hi,

Checking via Config mode the fault shows GTX 45R 2.12 Transmit Fault. I have a email into Garmin Support asking for guidance.

Jim

Thanks Walt for the guidance, just curious, is the "ADSB in" also using the antenna? I thought that with ADSB information in, information out would be ok.

I will check the connectors tomorrow.

Cheers Jim

Thanks Walt for the guidance, just curious, is the "ADSB in" also using the antenna? I thought that with ADSB information in, information out would be ok.

I will check the connectors tomorrow.

Cheers Jim

Yes it does but the receive and transmit functions are separate and the receiver may work with even a marginal antenna. However, the high power transmitter in the xpdr section requires a good solid antenna system or it will fault/fail, the bad news is a bad cable (most common) or antenna can cause the xmtr section in the unit to fail.

Back