What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X flight path vector

marchudson

Well Known Member
For some reason in level flight, the FPV always shows about 1-2 degrees high. I tried adjusting the pitch compensation but that didn’t work. See attached photo for details. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Marc

20231104_092437.bmp

I believe the white horizontal line is the horizon line, not the terrain. Looks like you're right on.

EDIT: What I'd like to know, how did you get the trim neutral line and the flaps part way down line to display??

Last edited:
The white line is the zero pitch line. The Flight Path Vector (Garmin calls it the Flight Path Marker or Velocity Vector) should be on the zero pitch line if the aircraft is not climbing or descending.

Have you gone through the AOA Calibration?

The white line is definitely the horizon line, but the vector is NOT on the line. The Dynon system that I use to fly behind, did have the vector on the line. I use the vector a lot for the type of flying that I do.

Next time I’m at the hanger Mike I’ll check in the EIS setting and find out how the trim and flap lines were added.

The white line is the zero pitch line. The Flight Path Vector (Garmin calls it the Flight Path Marker or Velocity Vector) should be on the zero pitch line if the aircraft is not climbing or descending.

Brad. Thanks for the idea. Yes I did calibrate the AOA.

The vertical speed indicator also shows a slight climb. Seems normal to me.

actually the two small yellow lines are the pitch line; It is only the zero pitch line if you have it set for zero pitch. Most are none zero, as most planes don't fly S&L at 0 pitch. The white line is the horizon line.

I need to record a video of the behavior. At the moment the picture was taken, I MIGHT have a 10’ FPM rate of climb but mostly noise. This would not account for the amount of displacement between the depicted horizon and the vector. I’ve flown behind velocity vector systems for the past 20 years and have never seen this amount of disparity.

Something is out of sorts with this. I will give Garmin a call on Monday to see if they can help sort it out.

actually the two small yellow lines are the pitch line; It is only the zero pitch line if you have it set for zero pitch. Most are none zero, as most planes don't fly S&L at 0 pitch. The white line is the horizon line.

Excerpts from G3X Pilot's Guide attached:

ZPL.jpg ZPL 1.jpg ZPL 2.jpg

I stand corrected. The yellow lines must be the roll line.

The yellow line is the Aircraft Symbol.

Interestingly, the white line is labeled as the horizon line in this image, also from the G3X Pilot's Guide.

Aircraft Symbol.jpg

Last edited:

I agree with this, at least with all of the EFIS systems that I’ve flown that had a Flight Path marker (vector?), which is the green donut. It also shows the effects of the right quartering tailwind (flight path slightly left of where the nose is pointed (yellow V-bars). If you push the stick a little forward in this example, to put the donut on the white line, you shouldn’t be climbing or descending. If you are then maybe you could try re-calibrating your pitch indication.

@marchudson were you able to figure this out? I have the exact same problem in my RV-10 and it’s driving me nuts.

Interestingly, I was also seeing the same behavior on the G3X (non touch) we had before we upgraded to the Touch. Which leads me to believe the problem is either:

1. Intentional,
2. A software bug, or
3. Something specific to my aircraft/configuration.

However, I’m inclined to not believe #3, since the VV is working just fine. The FPM should be exactly on the horizon when the VV = 0, and it’s not. It seems to be consistently 1-2 degrees nose high when the VV is 0.

Ravisurdhar.

Yes I finally figured it out. I went through the calibration procedures and was still getting the same results. Garmin tech support said this was abnormal. I swapped out the GSU-25, went through all the calibration procedures again and voila I have an accurate velocity vector. Having many years behind velocity vectors / FPVs I knew this one was off and I had to get to the bottom of it. You might want to try swapping out your GSU-25. How many do you have installed in your aircraft? If more than one, you can compare the two in order to verify which one is the problem.

Hope this helps
Marc

Back