What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Parts Question F-898

TimSPEED

Hi there. In my fuse kit as I was doing inventory, I noticed the following. I received parts F-898-L and F-898-R. Presumably these would be mirror parts. However, they look exactly the same. Is this correct? Or a shipping/mis-labelling mistake? Thanks

F-898.jpg

F-898close.jpg

Hi Tim,

I just checked my fuselage, and yes you're correct - looks like you have 2 x F-898-R's there, yet you want mirrored parts.

Ok, Yours is an 8A. RV-8A...looking at mine (RV-8, slightly diff part)...it is symmetrical. Maybe time to call/email Van's support.

Right side.jpg
Left Side.jpg

Hey Sam, Are those four holes in the weldment at the base of the gear tower supposed to be open? Same on both sides in your pictures.
nope...well, at some point they take #8 screws. There's actually a bunch of them open. I didn't see in the plans when they where/are to go in, so I figured I'd install them before I permanently mount the wing if not called for sooner. (I did a quick scan of the plans after your post but still haven't found a reference). Thanks for calling it out though. When did you install the screws, and does it matter when?

**sorry for the thread creep Tim***

Last edited:
nope...well, at some point they take #8 screws. There's actually a bunch of them open. I didn't see in the plans when they where/are to go in, so I figured I'd install them before I permanently mount the wing if not called for sooner. (I did a quick scan of the plans after your post but still haven't found a reference). Thanks for calling it out though. When did you install the screws, and does it matter when?

**sorry for the thread creep Tim***
Mine was a QB, so they were already installed. Hopefully someone that built a SB will chime in to help you out.

They aren’t called out specifically in the instructions, but from what I can gather from other builders they go in when you rivet the side skins on.
They are installed on the quick builds so they should be fitted by the time you get to that section of the manual.

thanks for answering my questions as well. My fuse was a QB, with the screws NOT installed. Which is likely why I hadn't run across the step in the manual.

Back