What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fueling Mat

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
Anyone have a recommendation on a fueling mat?

Seems like they run from $50 to $200…anyone have experience with them?

Thoughts

This is my comment from the other topic on fuel cap chains, but I will put it here.

"I was in the fueling business for eighteen years. Just lay a nice towel on the wing and place the cap on it. You can then use both hands on the fuel nozzle. If it's windy then do as you need. The towel then comes in handy in case of a spill on your paint.

Also, carry a pair of leather gloves in your plane. That way you won't rip your hands open on the grounding cable. And your hands will stay clean. A lot of those hoses are quite dirty."

We had some mats that were a heavy rubber. Almost three-sixteenths of an inch thick. We hated them. They were okay if you had a ham-fisted employee. They are great for sitting on as you need to do to fill the inboard tanks on airplanes like King Airs. Make sure they are wiped down first. I would not recommend one so heavy in my baggage compartment. I was always concerned that any dirt on them would scratch the paint as the employees sometimes slid them on the wing. We also had some that were like tool chest rubber mats. Similar to the material you might use to organize your rollaway tool chest. We also had some that were more open like a net. I didn't care for them as the cap could drop an edge into the open space and hit the paint. The lighter weight ones tend to blow around in the wind. For light planes I always just used a nice towel. The towel helps you cover the hole if it's raining too. I would recommend always being there or fueling the plane yourself.

Last edited:
Yoga Mat?

Years ago, we bought a cheap yoga mat (probably at Walmart) and cut a hole in it the size of the fuel cap opening. Used it for years on the DA-40's, the RV-7A and plan to use it on the RV-10 when Jonathan let's me have it back ;)

Don't know how fuel resistant it really is, but years of some spillage does not seem to have disintegrated any of the foam. It is a little bigger than an airplane specific mat, but you could probably cut it in half and make two.

I made one out of leftover baffle seal material. It gets rolled up and carried along with the other items in the travel kit.

I personally don’t like the fueling mats. They seem to collect dirt and then that dirt ends up scratching the pretty paint. The fuel cap is carefully placed on the ground bottom side up in front of the tire rather than sliding off the wing. I almost always fuel the airplane myself even at the big expense FBO’s. I say almost always because I’ve allowed someone else to fuel it two times in 1800+ hours.

I dont use them on my polished wings. And I ask line folks to avoid when I remember. Got back from a recent trip and saw scratches in the skin around the fill hole. Will probably polish out.

Back