What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Leak Fix Assist Request for RV-10 Friends in SoCal

rvmills

Well Known Member
I'm reaching out on behalf of good friends that own an RV-10, based at Oceanside, CA. They have a fuel tank that has gone from a seep to a leak. It's not coming from the root-rib close out or sender, but seems to them to be forward and outboard of that.

They have attempted contact with the shop in MN that fixes a lot of tanks, but have not been able to make contact or get a reply.

Requesting a recommendation for pointers to a shop/shops willing to work on an E-AB fuel tank, or if anyone in the SoCal area with build/repair experience that would be willing to help and guide them through an inspection and repair (they'd need solid/in-depth guidance, supervision and help, and are willing to provide compensation for it...solid folks...just more pilots than maintainers).

If anyone has leads or willingness to help, please contact me via PM or e-mail at rvmills "at" sbcglobal "dot" net, or call 77five-five44-3five11. You can contact them directly at nine 4 nine-37four-1nine60

Thanks very much...they've been looking for support, and could use a helping hand.

Cheers,
Bob

I'm reaching out on behalf of good friends that own an RV-10, based at Oceanside, CA. They have a fuel tank that has gone from a seep to a leak. It's not coming from the root-rib close out or sender, but seems to them to be forward and outboard of that.

They have attempted contact with the shop in MN that fixes a lot of tanks, but have not been able to make contact or get a reply.

Requesting a recommendation for pointers to a shop/shops willing to work on an E-AB fuel tank, or if anyone in the SoCal area with build/repair experience that would be willing to help and guide them through an inspection and repair (they'd need solid/in-depth guidance, supervision and help, and are willing to provide compensation for it...solid folks...just more pilots than maintainers).

If anyone has leads or willingness to help, please contact me via PM or e-mail at rvmills "at" sbcglobal "dot" net, or call 77five-five44-3five11. You can contact them directly at nine 4 nine-37four-1nine60

Thanks very much...they've been looking for support, and could use a helping hand.

Cheers,
Bob

I replied to a guy in a similar situation on VAF last year (13 months of "we'll get to it next month" from that MN shop, along with a lot of ghosting) posting here frustrated and looking for help and another VAF guy jumped on as well. I have since done 6 full reseals and a few were also slosh removals (very unpleasant work, but now pretty skilled at it). If your buddy can get the tank to Chicago, I will take on the work and provide a no leak gaurantee. I am retired and use this kind of thing to fund my avgas. I do it the correct way, by removing the rear baffle. This creates a need for re-paint in the top and bottom area where the rivets have to come out (I create a nice 1" clean stripping of the paint in that area to make paint repair easier). I will ONLY do it by removing ALL sealant and fully resealing. I did one where the entire proseal application was mixed incorrectly and never hardened. You could see it the second the baffle came off. All of it was light grey instead of black and could scrape it off with your fingernail. I will consider spot repairs by cutting holes, but WILL NOT guarantee against future leaks. This is NOT the recommended approach in your situation, as something was likely done wrong and new leaks will continue to appear over the years.

I also paint planes and cars and would consider the paint repair job also.

It likely makes no economical sense for me to go to socal to help. They can come here and work over my shoulder, but the process takes several days or a week of tedious work for a full reseal. It is not a two man job, as you have your face and arms crammed into an 8" tank openning.

Larry

Last edited:
Larry,

Thanks for reaching out, and great talking to you just now. I think you’re just what the doctor ordered. Passing your contact and the background info to them today. Thanks again very much for the call!

Cheers,
Bob

Back