What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fresh air vent.

Sanch627

Looking for suggestions as to the best place , ( if there is one 😂) for a NACA duct on the 4.
Chris #4633 N1212R

I have not found a NACA vent location that works well. I need a lot of air to keep cool, so I copied the design of the Piper Tripacer window vent and installed a pilot and passenger vent in the canopy on the right side below the bubble. Many years later I found Van's vents and installed one for passenger and one for pilot on the left side in the fuselage below the rail. They all work great on a hot summer day.

I have the RV-10 vents installed for both the front and rear seats just below the rail on both sides. Plenty of air flow all year long. I previously had the NACA vents as well but found they didn’t provide adequate air flow.

On my 4, I have one NACA on each side of fuselage just below the back eng of the cheeks. I have the nozzle right on end of NACA duct . Tons of airflow up front. For back seat, I have a NACA on bottom of right wing about 2 feet out from root and its ducted to the rear stick boot console. Blows really well for PAX. I believe that set up is in plans for RV8.

Looking for suggestions as to the best place , ( if there is one 😂) for a NACA duct on the 4.
Chris #4633 N1212R
Any place on the sides of the fuselage FORWARD of the leading edge works. A friend put one above the wing and it seems the low pressure area there doesn’t put out much air into the vent. Mine are forward and produce tons of airflow.

I get really good airflow from this location - even some while on the ground. I also used the expensive but well worth it aluminum vents. They stay shut, adjust to allow just enough air based on need, and they flow direction can be directed were you want it.

Attachments

• IMG_6199.jpeg
    IMG_6199.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
I have the RV-10 vents installed for both the front and rear seats just below the rail on both sides. Plenty of air flow all year long. I previously had the NACA vents as well but found they didn’t provide adequate air flow.
This. My 4 had the NACA vents already installed on right side and did move some air but poorly. Added one of the 10 type vent doors fwd lower LH side and just one made a big difference-gets hot here in AZ. Installed four on my Pitts project that’s going to have 2 place bubble canopy, curious to see how they’ll work with that arrangement..

My -4 has a standard Van's one on the starboard canopy skirt for the rear seat occupant. An aluminum eyeball vent attached directly to the duct controls flow. Lots of airflow that can be precisely controlled.

Back