What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward Top Skin Fit (Tip-Up)

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I've had tight skins on other parts of the plane, but none have been the struggle that the forward top skin has been (tip-up). With other skins, like the tanks and wing leading edges, I figured out how to hold my tongue just right, use ratchet straps, etc to get them into alignment. So far I haven't found that secret for the forward skin (771)! No matter which order I cleco things in place, it's consistently about 1/4" short at the longeron. I've tried ratchet straps, but that didn't budge it. Any tips from those who had the same struggle?

I've had tight skins on other parts of the plane, but none have been the struggle that the forward top skin has been (tip-up). With other skins, like the tanks and wing leading edges, I figured out how to hold my tongue just right, use ratchet straps, etc to get them into alignment. So far I haven't found that secret for the forward skin (771)! No matter which order I cleco things in place, it's consistently about 1/4" short at the longeron. I've tried ratchet straps, but that didn't budge it. Any tips from those who had the same struggle?
The thickness .032 makes it more difficult to fit than the other .025 skins. I took the skin to a sheet metal shop that has a roller and they curved it to shape, so as to match some templates for the fuselage bulkheads. It worked out well and other builders here follow the same practice.

5 hours later and after having removed the skin 100 times to try different approaches, I finally got it close enough. I carefully rolled the skin to pre-shape it like was mentioned, then using a heat gun on the skin before throwing the strap on it helped a little too. I'm still not thrilled with how it fit, but moving on. I was never able to get the forward corner holes (both sides) to line up with the existing side skin and firewall flange holes. Absolutely nothing I tried worked. I finally just decided to upsize that last hole to a #30, which allowed me to fudge the location enough to match them up.

Back