What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying with Basic Med in Canada

As this is a legal question, and I am not a lawyer, don’t depend on my opinion!
1. If you want to land in Canada for gas, I think the answer is no.
2. If you can go over Canada but do not land (e.g. direct Bellingham WA to Ketichikan AK (lots of cold water)) this may be okay and certainly no one will check (similarly going direct upper Michigan to Buffalo NY). If you need to divert to Canada, there may be trouble.
I believe aopa is working on this by a ‘back door’ route, e.g., trying to get International’s approval for basic med which Canada would then follow.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I'm not that far from the Canadian border and have Basic Med. Here's what I found.

BasicMed – Flying in Canadian Airspace
Due to the non ICAO-compliant nature of the BasicMed regime, Transport Canada does not currently allow aircraft to be operated in Canadian airspace by U.S. pilots flying under BasicMed. This includes transiting without landing (i.e. to/from Alaska). COPA is currently collaborating with AOPA and Transport Canada on a way forward which would allow certain BasicMed operations that comply with the restrictions imposed on Canadian Recreational Pilot Permit Holders.

https://copanational.org/flying-in-...ying in Canadian Airspace,i.e. to/from Alaska).

Following that topic, here's a brainstorming session for lawyers. Does Canada have the same rules where a pilot can deviate from regulations during an emergency? If so what law would a BasicMed pilot flying from Michigan to New York who encounters an emergency in flight and is forced to land at a Canadian airport face?

I'm not a lawyer either, but I'm not that far from the Canadian border and have Basic Med. Here's what I found.

BasicMed – Flying in Canadian Airspace
Due to the non ICAO-compliant nature of the BasicMed regime, Transport Canada does not currently allow aircraft to be operated in Canadian airspace by U.S. pilots flying under BasicMed. This includes transiting without landing (i.e. to/from Alaska). COPA is currently collaborating with AOPA and Transport Canada on a way forward which would allow certain BasicMed operations that comply with the restrictions imposed on Canadian Recreational Pilot Permit Holders.

https://copanational.org/flying-in-...ying in Canadian Airspace,i.e. to/from Alaska).

IOW, when the US accepts our version of "Basic Med", we will accept theirs.

Basic med/RPP

Back in 2006 I asked COPA and the EAA to work on getting a reciprocal agreement between the FAA and TC (Transport Canada) allowing Sport Pilots to fly in Canada and Canadian Recreational Permit Pilots (RPP) to fly into the US. As a Canadian RPP I can not fly my RV7 into the US due to the SFA (Special Flight Authority) for Amateur Built aircraft required by the FAA as the website requires me to declare that I am a PPL or better before printing the SFA. I can, however, fly a Canadian Ultralight aircraft into the US as the Ultralight SFA stipulates the pilot must hold an Ultralight or Recreational Permit. Supposedly this was being worked on but the regulators certainly don't do anything quickly! My hope is that with the proposed US MOSAIC changes (which is very close to current Canadian RPP limitations) in the works that maybe TC and the FAA will come to an agreement for both Sport and Basic Med pilots and RPP pilots to be able to cross the border. Not holding my breath though....

Basic med

The key words are "operated in Canadian airspace" so the answer is no overflights with basic med.

3rd class and above

I fly to Canada often, and ironically, am in Victoria now. You need 3rd class medical or above. Basic med has not been approved yet. I know it’s under review, but it’s been under review forever.

Does anyone ever check? I haven’t, but I’m not interested in such a trivial thing. It’s like pushing it with flying in sketchy weather. Get your 3rd class and be done with it.

Does Canada recognize an EASA PPL and 2nd class medical?

Since I also fly in Europe, I have both of those noted in the Title, but in the US I fly under Basic Med. (I also have an Italian VDS (ultralight licence).

Get your 3rd class and be done with it.

Did you know that If you have had malignant melanoma that has been surgically removed (lower back) with clear margins that you will be grounded with a 3rd class medical or better in Canada?

Supposedly transport Canada is concerned that you "could have a brain tumor" even though there are zero symptoms the dermatologist says no, family Dr says no but Transport Canada in their infinite wisdom says "you could have a brain tumor". Yet the Dr doing the medical on you wont send you for an MRI or anything and it stalls. It could be months and months at a minimum to sort this out.

But if you have a Cat 4 medical (Rec pilot) you could still fly and wouldn't need to deal with the bureaucracy of TC. Of course I'm sure that the majority of us if we had symptoms of a brain tumor we would ground ourselves until we were better. Geez if I have a headache I don't fly, if I'm tired I dont fly and if I don't get a good night's sleep I don't fly and at this stage of my life that is more often than not. So, I couldn't imagine wanting to try and fly with a brain tumor.

So, a Cat 3 as you get older becomes another insurmountable hurdle.

This is one of those situations where we, as taxpayers, on both sides of the border are not being well served by the governments we pay for. It's shameful that two government agencies can't figure out how to harmonize regulation on such simple matters.

It's a true statement that bureaucracy is stronger than democracy. True... and incredibly wrong.

Off topic

I know its a little off topic but I have UAT 978 ADS-B am I able to fly into Canada? I see that they require or are going to require 1090

This is one of those situations where we, as taxpayers, on both sides of the border are not being well served by the governments we pay for. It's shameful that two government agencies can't figure out how to harmonize regulation on such simple matters.
It's a true statement that bureaucracy is stronger than democracy. True... and incredibly wrong.

Careful, you are treading very closely on the edge of Forum rules!

I know its a little off topic but I have UAT 978 ADS-B am I able to fly into Canada? I see that they require or are going to require 1090

The requirement currently is limited to Class A airspace.

As the mandate expands in the future it will continue to be 1090MHz only - 978 UAT is not featured in any of Nav Canada's implementation plans.

So much for “usual”

Flew back from Canada. Pending US Gov shutdown (at the time). Port Townsend. Gorgeous airport. No one around. I’m early. Customs shows up. Full flashing lights, asking for:
Passport, pilot’s license, medical, registration.
All good.
After, I go to the local cafe, and everyone wants to know, “what’s up? Thought you were destined for jail.”

No, I’m from California, they just want to make sure I “move along!”
Thank you to the good folks of Washington.

PS- make sure your paperwork is in order

So it looks like my ‘someday’ Alaska trip is on hold till I go back and re-instate my 3rd class, that blows.
Looks like around 600 miles between fuel stops otherwise.

So it looks like my ‘someday’ Alaska trip is on hold till I go back and re-instate my 3rd class, that blows.
Looks like around 600 miles between fuel stops otherwise.

Or wait until Canada accepts it. :rolleyes:

I might have already set the record for breath holding though. :p

Back