What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaps Switches Question

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have a DPDT Honeywell on the panel I got from Stein and I have flaps control on my stick. I also have flaps info through my Dynon display(s).

How did you guys wire this?

I have the G3X system, so it is different, but possibly you could use some of my approach. The G3X accepts 2 sets of flap inputs. I actually have 3 possible inputs: panel, pilot stick and co-pilot stick. I installed a terminal block to allow "easy" selection of the two secondary sources (panel & co-pilot). For now I have it configured to use the panel and pilot stick. I'm used to flying other aircraft that have the flaps switch on the panel, but once I get used to the stick flaps maybe I'll like that better. So, at some point in the future I may decide to get rid of the panel switch and then I could reconfigure to allow the use of the co-pilot stick. All of the wires are connected to the terminal block so I just have to move a couple of wires to switch the source.

I wanted a flap switch on my sticks, but I was told by Stein, who checked with Showplanes about the wiring, that it was a no go. I don't recall the exact reason, but it had something to do with the possibility of pilots giving conflicting inputs and how the micro controller would react. I guess with the Ray Allen trim motors, which I have on my grips with a hat switch, conflicting inputs simply cancel out since that is routed to a relay and not the motor directly. But since the Showplanes controller would directly connect to the switch on the grips, Stein said I couldn't do it. They actually arranged with Tosten for me to send the grips back to swap that switch for another button, and then changed the harness design a little to add another button functionality.

So, all I have is a double throw switch on the panel - momentary down (to signal each flap position), and latching up (flap motor runs until it stops).

For position, Stein included a wire in the harness for a sensor. The Showplanes system doesn't have position sense, but Stein offers a sensor that I will install the next time I'm doing major work. It's called a POS-12. The G3x is programmed already to display position (but it is X'ed out for now). Until I install that, my position sensor is the Mark I eyeball out the window.

I ordered the RV-10 retrofit motor maybe 6 months ago to replace the showplanes motor and add a position sensor, but recently realized that it won't work with the Stein harness. I would need to add more wiring and change a RS232 style plug. Not worth it. Simplest solution is to add a position sensor and keep the flap motor, which works fine.

Anybody want a complete RV-10 flap retrofit kit? Probably too late to return it to Van's.

I have a DPDT Honeywell on the panel I got from Stein and I have flaps control on my stick. I also have flaps info through my Dynon display(s).

How did you guys wire this?

I have a similar setup, a switch on the panel and one on the stick. I have a flap controller and each flap switch is wired directly to the flap controller so each will work independently. There is another switch on the panel that provides power to the flap controller, in the case there is a runaway problem, the electrical can be cutoff right away.

I can see an issue with my setup that the switch on the stick can inadvertently moved. But then anything on the stick can be inadvertently activated.

I have a hefty DPDT switch on my RV-4 side panel. Also have a SPDT on my throttle handle that goes to a relay board that parallels connections on the hefty switch. In case both switches are activated for opposite directions I expect the cheap weaker relays to burn out.

I guess that ideally you'd have a relay board that accepts inputs from both switches.

Designing a relay board for two switches I suppose that one of the switches must be considered primary to override the other switch.

Finn

The issue is having a flap switch on each stick - and what happens if the pilot and co-pilot are messing around with the switches at the same time.

What I do:
- I use the very nice ShowPlanes Flap Positioning System (the one that Van’s sells).
- Flap toggle switch is located on each stick (Infinity Grip)
- The common ground for each flap switch and each top hat trim switch goes to a DPDT switch mounted in the center of the lower panel apron. The switch is labeled “Flap/Trim Select” above the switch and “Pilot/Co-Pilot” below the switch.
- When in the pilot position only the pilot has control of flaps and trim. Similar for the co-pilot position then only the co-pilot has control.
- The other function of the setup is to provide the pilot with an “installed spare” in the event the pilot side fails. The pilot just reaches over to the co-pilot stick for trim and flaps.
- The final backup is the flap and trim breakers are labeled and easy reach to the pilot. As the SkyView system provides auto trim as well as a time out circuit the probability of runaway trim is very much mitigated.

Carl

Back