What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight to Oshkosh

dwranda

Well Known Member
This is our story. I'm sure so many others have stories like this since people are what this aviation thing is about as much as airplanes.
I have 140 hours total flight time and my RV9A is brand new with 65 hours on it. I make plans to arrive at the proper starting point of the Fisk entry at 7 AM Sunday. Hundreds of others have the same idea. I fly all the way to Fisk getting passed left and right, cut off and generally freaked out by the way others are flying. I bug out and end up at Wautoma to cool off and wait it out. They just happen to be having a pancake breakfast. Super nice people. Seems like that all over Wisconsin. Another 9A pulls in and we meet Greg Morrow. Hang with him for a few hours until a flight of 3 RVs pull in to top off. I go out to talk with them and meet Walt and Jo Aronow, Steve Zahorsky, and Tim(sorry didn't get hs last name). I sheepishly ask if 2 9A's could join their flight. They graciously offer and we now have a flight of 5 RV's.
Walt leads the way and like a seasoned pro gets this rookie all the way to 36L. A little excitement on the way as a 210 decides us RV's are going too slow by following the rules and passes all of us. Add in a little more excitement on the landing as ATC tells me to extend my landing due to military coming up on me just as I am about to touch the purple dot. I land on the pink and taxi to our camping spot. Walt and Jo, Steve and Greg park next to me. We dine and generally hang out with Walt, Jo, and Steve every evening.
We obviously took many pictures but I am only going to share 2. Had I not got freaked out and ended up at Wautoma we never would have met Walt and the gang. Things just somehow work out like they're supposed to. Meeting quality people like Walt, Jo, Steve, Greg and Tim are what this hobby has become to me. Thanks again guys(and gal) for letting us join your flight and getting Linda and I safely to KOSH!
20230723_144348.jpg

20230723_143915.jpg

Greg is certainly a fun guy back home at HAO. Sounds like you met up with a great little bunch. Admit it now, you're back home and already counting the days until Osh '24, right?

I make plans to arrive at the proper starting point of the Fisk entry at 7 AM Sunday. Hundreds of others have the same idea. I fly all the way to Fisk getting passed left and right, cut off and generally freaked out by the way others are flying. I bug out and end up at Wautoma to cool off and wait it out. They just happen to be having a pancake breakfast. Super nice people. Seems like that all over Wisconsin.

Same exact for me except I was on Tuesday and no pancakes 🥞, but they did have home made scrumptious brownies. I have landed at several of the near by WI airports. They all seem to have nice new airport office buildings with great lounges and friendly people.

Greg is certainly a fun guy back home at HAO. Sounds like you met up with a great little bunch. Admit it now, you're back home and already counting the days until Osh '24, right?

I had forgotten that I have been to his airport. I came and saw your plane before you were flying and yes I can't wait until next year!

Dave, it was fun hanging out with you and Linda.
First time into Osh can be a daunting experience, glad I was able to help get you in safe! See you next year :D
And yes Dan nailed it, I’ve seen the airplanes, it’s the people that make Osh a special destination.

Last edited:
Dave,
It was nice meeting you and Linda, this was probably my 12th time up and every trip with Walt in the lead. The 3 ship we had this year is the smallest group I can remember. I’m glad it worked out you and Greg were able to join in, Sunday arrival is getting more congested every year so it can be overwhelming. I enjoyed our diner sorry I didn’t get to camp this year we had an old friend with us (probably his final trip) so we decided to get him a house. My first time to stay off airport and it was a neat experience to see the city. I’ll be back to camping next year, for me it’s just a better experience living with my plane. Hope to see ya’ll next year.
Tim

We need a big "Like" button! I am so honored and a very lucky man to experience the comradery that we share in this homebuilt community.

Good lesson.

When feeling pressured find a way to go chill out. This may be a diversion to another airport. A self imposed hold or engaging the AP out of area works too. We have let our heads clear.

If ATC or other traffic is overloading you go away and come back latter.

Bad things happen otherwise. Applies to VFR and IMC

Back