What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall forward - buying without an engine?

tsnevo

Hello,
I have bought all but the powerplant for the -12.
Now, I would like to get the powerplant from a independent dealer.
But... I would need all the "kit" to fit it to the a/c
Does anyone know if this set could be purchased from VANS?
Thanks !

Hello,
Thanks !
I just asked exactly this question to Vans last Friday. As I am going the EAB way, I thought I might even find a used engine. So far no answer yet. I found however someone, who went this way and disencouraged me, saying he likely wouldn’t do it again.
Will post, as soon as I hear from them.

Considered E-AB with a used engine but after looking at list decided Vans had no incentive to provide parts so ordered full kit. As I understand Rotax engines are not long lead like Lycoming but all the FWF stuff is. See attached kit listing Vans provided for me last year to see all you would have to source. Some like sensors are easy but for 12 only parts Vans is the sole source.

Attachments

• 12 POWERPLANT LEGACY.pdf
    729.8 KB · Views: 41
Hello,
Thanks !
Depends on your level of experience, comfort and confidence that you could obtain and integrate the parts, wiring and software setups on your own. The Vans engine and FWF kit are "plug and play" for the most part with all harnesses built and connectors installed. Some items may be long lead right now, but there are other things you can be doing/planning (you didn't mention how far along your are in assembling your kit). Also as you may already know, your Phase I fly off will be around 40 hrs for EAB (non-Vans parts) vs. 5 hours for ELSA (all Vans parts). Good luck either way!

Back