What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filtered Airbox issues

Tam

Good day everybody
Upon annual inspection on our RV8, we found out that the VA-192a Air Inlet plate was loose…All rivets still in place though.
Decided to glue the plate in place using JB Weld.
Also, found out there were 2 holes on the glass fiber box itself (see picture) with no clear function. Does anybody know their function?
Many thanks in advance
IMG_20230610_134406.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_154930.jpg
    IMG_20230531_154930.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Also, found out there were 2 holes on the glass fiber box itself (see picture) with no clear function. Does anybody know their function?
Many thanks in advance
View attachment 43719

Water/fuel drains. One inside filter and one outside.

Good opportunity to remind everyone that there should be drains at all locations where fluids can collect like high the side of all bulkheads and ribs that can trap fluids. Also bottom fairing of rudder.

Last edited:
Eric,

If you still have the FAB apart, fix the root problem. Add a plate of 0.032” aluminum on the bottom, sandwich the fiberglass between the alt air door and the aluminum. The aluminum also will prevent the glass on the bottom from being ablated away by the bottom of the filter bouncing around.
IMG-0069.jpg

IMG-0066.jpg

Carl

Good idea Carl. I have wear from the rubber filter on the fiberglass floor.
I just keep adding glass to the other side.

What happens with the 'increadible shrinking air filter' ?
Do the tabs keep it from shrinking, or just on the lower edge?

And for OP, yes, drain holes good.

SNIP
What happens with the 'increadible shrinking air filter' ?
Do the tabs keep it from shrinking, or just on the lower edge?

Exactly. I suspect once you stop the lower edge from moving around that eliminates most of the filter turning into a cone problem.

Carl

Thank you All for your feedback.
I will check back in a couple of hours to see if the glue makes the job
Take care and fly safe
Eric

Back