What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Factory Tour - Picking up my Empennage

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
I got an email from Vans yesterday morning that the RV-14A empennage kit that I ordered in March was ready for pick up. The crating window didn't start for a couple more weeks so I was surprised it was ready early. So, my wife and I jumped in the truck and drove to the factory in Aurora, OR. After loading the kit into the truck, we took the factory tour.

Oh, we also got to sit in the factory RV-14A. Sounds kind of crazy but that was the first time I've actually seen an RV-14A in person. I'm 6' 4" and after siting in it, I think I'm going to get the console mounted throttle quadrant like the one Flight Chops used. My knee was resting too close to the panel mounted throttle for my liking.

Here are some highlights from the tour (from memory so may not be 100% accurate):
  • Orders increased 250% during COVID
  • They have three CNC punch presses in house
  • Three people work full time now just building crates for shipping
  • They went from a single CNC punch shift to 3 shifts 7 days a week. Punch presses are running 24/7
  • They used to ship 20-22 kits per week. Now they ship around 80
  • They keep some Lycoming engines in stock for international orders
  • They have expanded their footprint at the airport to several adjacent buildings
  • They are trying REALLY hard to keep up with orders!

The automated CNC machines were fascinating. The operator loads a large flat sheet of aluminum into the press and the machine takes over. To minimize waste, they cut parts from multiple models in each sheet- arranging parts like a jigsaw puzzle in the most efficient arrangement possible. The press punches the rivet holes, lightening holes, etc then cuts the perimeter of the parts. It's unbelievably fast. The table, aluminum sheet and punch head all move independently of each other at times.

My wife was a materials manager for a company that built hardware for the high tech industry and she had a number of questions about inventory tracking and materials planning. From the outside looking in, this seems to be the biggest challenge for Vans. Their changing shipping estimates and the fact that they ship most kits with backordered parts made my wife think they need some help in this area. I thought she would be totally bored with the tour but she found it interesting because of her background.

Thought I'd share some pictures in case any of you are waiting for your kit to arrive (look closely at the name tags on some kits):

Attachments

• IMG_5896.jpg
    IMG_5896.jpg
    968.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5899.jpg
    IMG_5899.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_5900.jpg
    IMG_5900.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_5901.jpg
    IMG_5901.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_5902.jpg
    IMG_5902.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_5903.jpg
    IMG_5903.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5904.jpg
    IMG_5904.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_5907.jpg
    IMG_5907.jpg
    903.7 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_5898.jpg
    IMG_5898.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
I'm 6' 4" and after siting in it, I think I'm going to get the console mounted throttle quadrant like the one Flight Chops used. My knee was resting too close to the panel mounted throttle for my liking.

Did you confirm that the seat was in its most aft position?
My guess would be that it wasn’t.

Did you confirm that the seat was in its most aft position?

I didn't Scott. I actually had enough leg room although I will move the seat a bit further back in my plane. With long legs, my right knee always seems to contact or rest on the dash/console of most cars. The same thing happened with the -14 which didn't surprise me.

I haven't looked at the plans but I suspect I could mount the controls further to the right but I was already considering the "Flight Chops" console mounted throttle quadrant and my experience yesterday just solidified that thought.

This is what I'm talking about:
https://www.aerosportproducts.com/product/rv-14-armrest-throttle-quadrant/

I didn't Scott. I actually had enough leg room although I will move the seat a bit further back in my plane. With long legs, my right knee always seems to contact or rest on the dash/console of most cars. The same thing happened with the -14 which didn't surprise me.

I haven't looked at the plans but I suspect I could mount the controls further to the right but I was already considering the "Flight Chops" console mounted throttle quadrant and my experience yesterday just solidified that thought.

This is what I'm talking about:
https://www.aerosportproducts.com/product/rv-14-armrest-throttle-quadrant/

Fore and aft seat position has a direct influence on the elevation of your knees when seated.

Fore and aft seat position has a direct influence on the elevation of your knees when seated.

Yep! Just like a car. I've dealt with the right knee pressed into the car dash/console issue my entire life.

I plan to sit in the -14 again when I pick up the fuselage kit here in the next month or so. I want to get a better sense for seating position. I also didn't close the canopy and I'd like to do that to check for headroom. Should be fine based on what I've read.

Thanks for the feedback. I value your input!

Last edited:
I’m 6’ 4” and plenty of room

Rudder pedals all the way forward and seat position all the way back. 1.5 inches of cushion in the seat and 1 inch for the back support. About 1.25 inch room above headset to canopy. Plenty of room with the standard console. Throttle quadrant would give a little more knee room.

Throttle quadrant would give a little more knee room.

That's what I'm looking for. I was actually surprised by how much leg room I had with the seat where it was. Now I have no idea where the seat was set but it's not likely the previous person who flew the plane was 6' 4". Possible, but not likely. Plenty of shoulder room for my wife and I which was nice as well.

Back