What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1 Rocket - a Beauty!

F1 Rockets

I just got back from a ride in a brand new rocket here in eastern Canada. Second one flying I think after Mark Fredricks with a continental engine. As a 160hp RV4 driver all I can say is AWSOME. The acceleration on take off is something else. Latest project by multiple RV builder Jerry Wilcox. Flies like a dream, although I wouldn't like paying for the fuel flow.

Joe Hine
RV4 C-FYTQ

what kind of prop?
That's a Whirl Wind prop. I was on standby at Gillespie field for fires and visited Dick's hangar to see his project. The workmanship was incredible and Dick was an awesome host to my drop-in visit.
Great job, Dick!

Prop and Heart Paliptations

That's a Whirl Wind prop. I was on standby at Gillespie field for fires and visited Dick's hangar to see his project. The workmanship was incredible and Dick was an awesome host to my drop-in visit.
Great job, Dick!

Thanks for prop ID…I went brain dead on that one.

Every time I see that aircraft I get heart palpitations...my wife has to remind me, "If you're going out to the hangar today, have you taken your meds?"

The photos do not do the paint job justice. In the eagle head airbrush work, there are gold and silver flakes imbedded in the paint. Depending on sun angle, you will see a kaleidoscope of colors reflecting off of the artwork.

I will get a snapshot of the cockpit and post it later. It is an all glass panel with Blue Mountain Avionics. The trim detail in the cockpit is equally impressive. The cockpit seats are race car seats. I told Dick that if I had installed those seats seven years ago, I couldn’t fit in them today!

Regards,

Last edited:
Paint Color

Do you know what that paint color is? It's spectacular!

-- Chris

The orange paint supplier is: House of Colors. The name of the paint color is: Tangello (not certain of the spelling).

Regards,

DJ's Rocket Makes Kitplanes Magazine

Dick Johnson's Rocket is the feature article in the March issue of Kitplanes magazine.

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I had the pleasure of buying Dick’s Rocket in January and it is still an incredible aircraft. Dick is also an incredible guy to hang out with. I felt horrible flying off with his incredible creation but I sure am glad I did.

I almost felt guilty getting a prebuy inspection done. The A&P kept saying wow, amazing work, over and over and over.

Attachments

• 431BFA1F-9205-40A5-A574-9685F33A2BC2.jpg
    431BFA1F-9205-40A5-A574-9685F33A2BC2.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 265
Back