What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Export partially-built kit?

Tedd

I'm New Here
I'm selling my RV-6 tail and wing kit (tail mostly complete, wings not started). Since it's likely that an interested buyer would be in the U.S., I'm trying to learn what would be required to export the kit there. Has anyone been through that process? In what ways would it be different from exporting the finished airplane?

From the viewpoint of the FAA and a US buyer, the buyer is just buying his aluminum from outside the country, and the FAA doesn’t care at all. It’s not an airplane, its not even airplane parts (yet). Van’s shouldn’t care who you transfer the builder number to either. COmpletely different from sending a completed aircraft across the border (which isn’t that hard either).

Thanks, Paul.

Customs does care, though. I've brought a fair bit of things across the border from Canada into the U.S., from racing cars to telecommunications test equipment, and U.S. Customs always want to know what it is, in some detail, because of the complexity of the trade restrictions.

Last edited:
I self cleared my fuselage kit but it was coming north. Lots of unfamiliar forms/paperwork needed…. Maybe about as pleasant of an experience as taking a stroll through an automatic car wash.

A builder friend introduced me to Clear-it and it vastly simplified importing all the subsequent kits for a fairly reasonable fee. I imagine they or a comparable outfit can help for something going south too?

Back