What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust slip joint bolt torque

Daddyman58

My Lycoming O-360-A1A has a Vetterman 4-into-2 system with a slip joint. The bolts on the slip joint are held with springs under the head. I read was about to apply the recommended high-temp lube, but am unsure of the correct torque for these nuts.
Looked in my engine manual and can't find them.
Prize points for the correct answer.

Daddyman

My Lycoming O-360-A1A has a Vetterman 4-into-2 system with a slip joint. The bolts on the slip joint are held with springs under the head. I read was about to apply the recommended high-temp lube, but am unsure of the correct torque for these nuts.
Looked in my engine manual and can't find them.
Prize points for the correct answer.

Daddyman
Yeah,
I got the answer: 100-140 inch/pounds.
Daddyman

Yeah,
I got the answer: 100-140 inch/pounds.
Daddyman
I would double check. That torque seem high for stainless slip-joint connectors. What size are the bolts? Vetterman documentation calls out 100-140 inch pounds for the exhaust flange bolts.

Last edited:
I would double check. That torque seem high for stainless slip-joint connectors. What size are the bolts? Vetterman documentation calls out 100-140 inch pounds for the exhaust flange bolts.
Drill and Buck,
It is possible it is too much.
I derived the information from the Vetterman paperwork.
They are -3 bolts.
I'll double check.
Daddyman

I prefer 'slip joints' to be able to 'slip', therefore I prefer to just tighten the bolt enough to retain the pipes.
If you crank down on the bolts too tight the joint can no longer move.

Last edited:
Hmmm I must double check my Vetterman installation instructions when I install the exhaust. I would expect to strip -3 bolts by tightening them to 100-140 inch pounds. I'm sure that Walt's advice is good.

Double checked on Vetterman install torque:
100-140 inch/#
Thanks to all for the input.
Daddyman
Maybe we're talking about 2 different things, Cyl exhaust nuts are 170-180 " lbs if I remember correctly, check the Lyc OH manual.
(vetterman had them wrong for many years but I thought they fixed that)

Last edited:
My exhaust manufacturer (not vetterman for the RV10) was very explicit about not tightening the slip joint tabs together. It’s an alignment bolt and that’s it. Make sure the nut is fully into the locking zone but make sure there is some rotational give. Maybe a picture would help. We could be talking about a different setup.
Antiseize on the pipes. Although I have my doubts that lasts more than a few minutes in practice.

I just recently installed my Vetterman Cross over exhaust and the web site says 140-180 " lbs. for the exhaust nuts. So thats what I did.

I would like to see a picture too. I’m not sure what you are referring to. I don’t have any bolts on my Vetterman slip joints - just springs. Might be talking about two different things.

Attachments

• IMG_2301.jpeg
    IMG_2301.jpeg
    337.7 KB · Views: 20
Back