What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine baffle paint

I used self-etching rattle can grey primer. I forget the brand name but it's common at automotive stores. It seems to stick quite well.

Bevan

None, just alodine

I am personally a fan of no paint on baffles. A nice light Scotchbrite brush finish and Alodine is my personal preference. In many years of building/rebuilding baffles, the painted ones often (not always) end up scratched, chipped,flaking and messy looking. Baffles are crack magnets, and much easier to see/repair when unpainted. The Alodine will give it a light goldish tone, and can be easily touched up.

Attachments

• O320 top side.jpg
    O320 top side.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 224
  • O320 left side.jpg
    O320 left side.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 222
+1 for auto store rattle can engine paint

Attachments

• LKRV8-FWF506.jpg
    LKRV8-FWF506.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 160
I use the same single stage PPG Urethane paint I use for the interior, over PPG epoxy primer. Two quart cans are enough for everything.

Amazingly durable both forward and aft of the firewall.

Carl

Good question

I am at this point now. I have a choice of Jet flex interior or acyroglow exterior. Both SW products. I am thinking the jetflex since it is a satin finish, although a gloss will be easier to clean….

Does anybody know what color matches the standard Lycoming grey?

My valve covers are scratched from all the baffle work.

Thanks in advance

Back around '94 or so, I powder-coated the baffles of my Cessna 180. Did it in white for ease of inspections.

* In a couple areas, the powder-coating is peeling off.

* Overall, dirt gets embedded into the paint and won't come off. It looks pretty bad now.

I'd never do that again. For my RV-3B project, I'm leaving the baffles bare aluminum. Might even polish them.

Dave

Bare aluminum for me. We used high-temp white engine paint on the RV-3 baffles when we built them, and they get dirty with bugs and grease - the bare aluminum on the other planes cleans up easily and its easy to spot issues such as fretting where the baffles slip on each other.

Rattle can engine paint.

Not saying I’m right, just adding perspective. Baffles tend to see battle scars. Initial installation alone can do a job on them. That is the main reason i chose the rattle can approach. Touch-up is simple, sometimes insitu and no need to match.

Just some thought to cloud the OP’s thoughts.

Me too. I’ve used rattle can high temp paint from auto store for all 4 of my RV builds. Looks great, pretty durable, and easy to touch up if I want.

Back