What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emag harmess resistance

Eric12

I'm New Here
Emag harness resistance

I just bought two emags and two emag brand harnesses. All of the leads measure approximately double the recommended 180 ohms per foot stated in the emag manual. I suspect this is not really a problem, but does anyone know?

Last edited:
You can very well have miss-firing with the wrong resistance - I know, I’ve had it - but I don’t know what the tolerance is.

I suggest you first verify the accuracy of whatever you are using to measure resistance. If good, a call to Brad at eMag is in order.

Carl

Thanks Paul. I'll check with emag. When I searched for lead kits from Accel and others, the lowest I found was 350 ohms per foot, so I bought the emag brand. All 8 emag leads measure 350-450 ohms per foot.

Thanks Paul. I'll check with emag. When I searched for lead kits from Accel and others, the lowest I found was 350 ohms per foot, so I bought the emag brand. All 8 emag leads measure 350-450 ohms per foot.

That sounds about right for plug wires. The plugs have 5000 ohm resistors in them so what you have here is no issue. Remember that we are dealing with around 30-40,000 volts coming out of the coil, so this level of resistance is inconsequential. Half this voltage will jump an 1/8" air gap (infinite resistance) and still spark the plug. That's what was happening inside an old school distributor, as well as inside a mag.

180 seems too low to be accurate unless they are metal instead of carbon infused string and that is rare for automotive.

Last edited:
Are most using automotive wires (MSD or similar?), cutting to length and terminating?

Or do you use the wires sold by E-Magair? If so, do the E-Magair wires come cut-to-length and terminated?

EDIT: Just found the wires on E-Mag's site. They are pre-terminated.

PMag Wires.jpg

Last edited:
Are most using automotive wires (MSD or similar?), cutting to length and terminating?

Or do you use the wires sold by E-Magair? If so, do the E-Magair wires come cut-to-length and terminated?

I cant imagine that there's a difference but that is a good question.

Thanks LR. That's what I was thinking. Not sure why Emag specifies 180ohms per foot.

FYI Emag's NEW wires and spec'd at 40ohms per foot!
Yep, I ordered a new set and ohm'd them and was shocked...called Brad, he said new wires, new spec's and he hadn't updated the pdf install manual.

Back