What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA webinar - Latex Paint – A Low-Cost Alternative

Blw2

Well Known Member
so yesterday I thought I'd be available so I signed up for an evening webinar I spotted in some EAA email.
It was called "Latex Paint – A Low-Cost Alternative"
I'm interested for a couple reasons.....
1) because it's something I've thought of a few times when thinking through the prospects and costs of painting a plane
and 2) because I'm faced with having to paint my 32ft class C motorhome and I don't have the equipment or the skill to properly spray it.... nor do I really want to pay to have it done.
I've been thinking that I'll probably do a roll and tip job using marine topside paint...maybe 2-part epoxy paint...but have often wondered about just using a good quality gloss house paint on it....

Anyway, I'm upset with myself becasue I got busy and forgot about it till it was too late...and missed the webinar.

Wondering if anyone here watched it and could comment. I looked on EAA's site and don't see it posted anyplace for streaming now.

I believe most of the people using latex paint on aircraft are flying things like Legal Eagles. You know, slow fabric-covered airplanes. But of course I could be wrong.

Dave

Greg Halverson was featured in the RVator years ago for having built his 6 on a budget, all in for about $35k if I recall.
He painted his airplane with a roller. It didn’t look bad at all.

I believe most of the people using latex paint on aircraft are flying things like Legal Eagles. You know, slow fabric-covered airplanes. But of course I could be wrong.

Dave
Yeah, I am pretty sure the EAA webinar would have been about using Latex paint on fabric covered airplanes.

so yesterday I thought I'd be available so I signed up for an evening webinar I spotted in some EAA email.
It was called "Latex Paint – A Low-Cost Alternative"
I'm interested for a couple reasons.....
1) because it's something I've thought of a few times when thinking through the prospects and costs of painting a plane
and 2) because I'm faced with having to paint my 32ft class C motorhome and I don't have the equipment or the skill to properly spray it.... nor do I really want to pay to have it done.
I've been thinking that I'll probably do a roll and tip job using marine topside paint...maybe 2-part epoxy paint...but have often wondered about just using a good quality gloss house paint on it....

Anyway, I'm upset with myself becasue I got busy and forgot about it till it was too late...and missed the webinar.

Wondering if anyone here watched it and could comment. I looked on EAA's site and don't see it posted anyplace for streaming now.

I've painted two fabric aircraft with rolled house paint and it can result in a nice "vintage" finish. I used the roll-n-tip technique on a wood boat I built two years ago using marine single-stage top-coat paint and it really turned out nice.

If you can become proficient with the roll-n-tip method you can get excellent results *if* you use top quality paint. This technique is common among high-end boat builders when spraying isn't practical and the results can be stunning. Cutting and buffing the rolled finish is also an option and can yield a mirror finish if enough effort is put into it.

Having said all that....would I roll-n-tip an RV? It would need to be a last resort where spraying isn't a viable option. The skin edges and rivets would be problematic unless a lot of paint is applied which adds weight. And.....I can't imagine the market value hit an RV would take once it is advertised as having a "latex house paint" finish.....

The hosts at EAA said that the webinars held on Friday would be available online on Monday.

I did like the safety aspect of water-based paint and the unlimited color availability.

Yes, the gentleman did use it on metal and fabric. He sprayed, brushed and rolled it. He also had to sand between coats.

Look for a website named Wiener Dog Aero. He said that since the information was available on the web that he will soon be shutting that particular website down.

His name is Malcolm Morrison and has some videos on YouTube.

Back