What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX

wirejock

Well Known Member
I'm confused. First, I will clarify. I have two HDX. I installed a two port USB so the data ports would be accessible on the instrument panel. Glad I did. It seems they get used a lot.
Dynon HDX questions...

1. The Dynon HDX comes with a USB mini 32mb flash drive. I have two screens so two flash drives.
The updates have to be done individually.
I see no reason why each one has to have its own flash drive update. Files are the same.
I assume using one drive can be used to update each screen?

2. The Seatle Avionics Data has to be on a USB Flash Drive plugged into the HDX when in operation. It's a lot of data so I bought a 128G and formatted it FAT32. Yes, it can be done quite easily. I assume the system needs a flash drive for each HDX, but I could be wrong.
Do they share the data or do you keep one in each HDX USB port?

Software updates have to be done individually on each screen. Uploading the new database updates can be done on both at the same time if you have the network cable connecting the two screens behind the panel. In that case while updating one screen you should see "Synchronizing Database" splashed across the other screen to show they are communicating through that network cable.

The Seattle Avionics data (charts) are only available on the screen with the USB plugged into that screen. I use two USB's so I can view any charts on either screen without worrying about moving the USB (dropping it in turbulence, rushed during an approach, etc).

Last edited:
Use two drives

I'm confused. First, I will clarify. I have two HDX. I installed a two port USB so the data ports would be accessible on the instrument panel. Glad I did. It seems they get used a lot.
Dynon HDX questions...

1. The Dynon HDX comes with a USB mini 32mb flash drive. I have two screens so two flash drives.
The updates have to be done individually.
I see no reason why each one has to have its own flash drive update. Files are the same.
I assume using one drive can be used to update each screen?

2. The Seatle Avionics Data has to be on a USB Flash Drive plugged into the HDX when in operation. It's a lot of data so I bought a 128G and formatted it FAT32. Yes, it can be done quite easily. I assume the system needs a flash drive for each HDX, but I could be wrong.
Do they share the data or do you keep one in each HDX USB port?

If it is at all similar to the GRT process (updates + Seattle Avionics data), then use TWO flash drives. I use two different ones the settings MAY be different on each and if charts are read, the read is from the attached USB drive. I name the drives so that I know what each is when I put them into the computer for updates.

Drives are cheap and the logistics are easy. I think that you will be much happier in the long run.

Flash drives

Software updates have to be done individually on each screen. Uploading the new database updates can be done on both at the same time if you have the network cable connecting the two screens behind the panel. In that case while updating one screen you should see "Synchronizing Database" splashed across the other screen to show they are communicating through that network cable.

The Seattle Avionics data (charts) are only available on the screen with the USB plugged into that screen. I use two USB's so I can view any charts on either screen without worrying about moving the USB (dropping it in turbulence, rushed during an approach, etc).

Thanks. That clears it up.
I did rename the drives. I will maintain two of each.
Updates go to the Dynon drives. Seattle goes to the ones that live in the panel.

Back