What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX training

Rocinante

Hello all,
I know there are videos on the Dynon site (long and a bit tedious), and we can always read the (approx. 295 pg) manual, but does anyone know of a reasonable training course/simulator/training manual, etc?

Hello all,
I know there are videos on the Dynon site (long and a bit tedious), and we can always read the (approx. 295 pg) manual, but does anyone know of a reasonable training course/simulator/training manual, etc?
OK I'll bite. I have an HDX panel and all the goodies to go with it and seen all the videos to try to get some perspective on how to make the best use of my brain.
Well, no matter how many videos you watch it may not help
Try to learn how to do loops and rolls without doing them. Or anything else for that matter.
I found: just go out and fly the panel. screw it up and screw with it. The best learning is hands on hands down. A person learns by doing.
Your brain won't hold on to the video stuff.
If you don't have the panel yet. Well I don't have an answer for you.
My luck varies FIXIT

OK I'll bite. I have an HDX panel and all the goodies to go with it and seen all the videos to try to get some perspective on how to make the best use of my brain.
Well, no matter how many videos you watch it may not help
Try to learn how to do loops and rolls without doing them. Or anything else for that matter.
I found: just go out and fly the panel. screw it up and screw with it. The best learning is hands on hands down. A person learns by doing.
Your brain won't hold on to the video stuff.
If you don't have the panel yet. Well I don't have an answer for you.
My luck varies FIXIT
Sorry for the delayed response.
Thanks for the input; that validates my experience.
The manual is a but of a 'slog' to get through, so I went out to the plane (down for CI now) and just punched buttons and turned dials. It's pretty intuitive, but I always wonder about some of the functions; I don't know how much I don't know yet..

Many of the fundamentals are still applicable in the videos but frankly I found them 'aging out' and not really condensed. They are generally good video overall.
I would also start with the 'what are the basic concepts'? Setting the barometer, Hdg, Alt, etc. How do you switch screens and select display layouts. Don't want to switch screens and have no path 'back'.
Start with the AP (autopilot) in "Simplified" mode, (not 'Expert'). In Simplified mode, turning the HDG knob, steers the AP. Keep it simply to start.
The 'in-flight' HDX videos were IMHO, the newer and best. Good explanations.
Dynon once commented that there was no "simulator' or Training version for a PC, but both X-Plane and MSFS will interface and some practice scenarios can be practiced, but it's NOT a substitute for interaction in any plane configuration.
The manuals could use a condensed 'Cheat Sheet' version, but you'll have to create your own, ... in my experience. Flying with a co-pilot who knows HDX is the safest and best way to accomplish much of the learning.

Maybe this will help your perspective. I fly for a living in machines with very complex systems and avionics. My employer (and the FAA, and the public) REQUIRE that I know these systems inside and out. We train every nine months, fly at least 75 hours a month, and many of us have a wealth of knowledge and previous experience with the same or similar systems/avionics suites.
Having said that, there are still many things about my work plane I don't know perfectly. Almost more that I don't know than do. There are always the tricks and tips, or little known gee whiz facts that only some will know or ever use. We still get from A to B safely, and pass our exams and sims with no issues.

So maybe take the advice being tossed out here: Learn the basics, be able to know where to look for critical information (that probably amounts to altitude, airspeed, and engine rpm/cht/oil pressure etc). Then work your way into more as you go along. I think you'll find that while flying, you will come across a need, notice a new capability, or want to modify a parameter. Then you'll come home and read up, then go out and give it a try. Little by little you'll add to your knowledge bank, soon being able to do everything you need to do. Probably not everything in the book, but everything you need.

It's not really that hard, but if you're coming from steam gauges it can be intimidating. Start out small, you'll do fine!

Fly well

Back