What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duplex Fuel Valve / Mounting Plate

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
For those who used a non-standard fuel valve such as the FS2020 Duplex valve in the -14 (it has a different bolt hole pattern to the stock FS20x2), how did you mount it?

I wasn’t planning to use the TS Flightlines setup as the cost is just too prohibitive with the exchange rate, and I understand this includes a modified mounting plate.

The stock mount plate is 0.032” so i was thinking of just making a plate up and match drilling the mounting and nutplate holes and bending a couple of flanges.

Keen to hear what other people have done.

Attachments

• IMG_9354.jpeg
    IMG_9354.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
I will eventually be where you are. I have yet to take a close look at this, so sorry I am not going to be much help. The question I have yet to answer, is why the original plate can’t be used? Is the duplex valve setup just a different configuration?

If so I will build a new plate based on the old one but to fit the valve.

For those who used a non-standard fuel valve such as the FS2020 Duplex valve in the -14 (it has a different bolt hole pattern to the stock FS20x2), how did you mount it?

I wasn’t planning to use the TS Flightlines setup as the cost is just too prohibitive with the exchange rate, and I understand this includes a modified mounting plate.

The stock mount plate is 0.032” so i was thinking of just making a plate up and match drilling the mounting and nutplate holes and bending a couple of flanges.

Keen to hear what other people have done.
There are probably lots of ways to do this and this seemed to be the simplest method making the valve easy to service (And easier to tighten the AN6 nuts than under a one-piece mount) and later inspect fuel lines. (Remove 4 screws and the bracket slides out) With 6 - 3/8 lines running to the valve there is already plenty of rigidity. This was done before the TS Flightlines mods came out. Don't place the filters in the tunnel. FWF for the post filter and wing root filters for pre to me seem optimal for the 14 set-up.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-07 092522.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-07 092522.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2024-04-07 092755.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-07 092755.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2024-04-07 093257.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-07 093257.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2024-04-07 093403.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-07 093403.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2024-04-07 093937.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-07 093937.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
. The question I have yet to answer, is why the original plate can’t be used? Is the duplex valve setup just a different configuration?
It’s a 4 hole pattern, not a 3 hole. The aft 2 can just be drilled, but the forward 2 line up so the duplex holes 1/2 overlap the original holes. I could probably just elongate the existing forward holes and drill 2 aft holes and it would be ok to be honest. The aft holes would stop any rotation.

The duplex valve also does not have the ability to attach nutplates - it’s a screw and nut setup which is annoying. The solution above would fix this, but I was thinking a loose ring with 4 nutplates attached would be the simplest.

Last edited:
In the end, I made up a nutplate ring to sit under the valve, and drilled the existing plate to match the nutplate ring. I elongated the forward holes. It’s nice and rigid.

One small thing for anyone doing this change - my valve came with smaller screws (looked like #8). The Van’s instructions got the stock valve use #10, so
I made the nutplate ring with #10 holes and K1000-3 (10/32”) nutplates.

The factory had neglected to clean out the brass swarf from the tapped hole in the stem of the valve, so when I turned it upside down it dropped brass into the bottom of the aeroplane. Something to be careful of I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_9389.jpeg
    IMG_9389.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9393.jpeg
    IMG_9393.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9395.jpeg
    IMG_9395.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9398.jpeg
    IMG_9398.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9396.jpeg
    IMG_9396.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
In the end, I made up a nutplate ring to sit under the valve, and drilled the existing plate to match the nutplate ring. I elongated the forward holes. It’s nice and rigid.

One small thing for anyone doing this change - my valve came with smaller screws (looked like #8). The Van’s instructions got the stock valve use #10, so
I made the nutplate ring with #10 holes and K1000-3 (10/32”) nutplates.

The factory had neglected to clean out the brass swarf from the tapped hole in the stem of the valve, so when I turned it upside down it dropped brass into the bottom of the aeroplane. Something to be careful of I guess.
We made the mounting plate as part of our install kit to standardize the valve location for our CNC bend wing lines, and to make it easier for the builder. In alot of kits there are the little things that add time, and in Trent's case expense of shipping to Australia. 'Oh you mean I have to MAKE that part, why dont you provide it?" Yes we heard builders years ago, and tried to make it as complete as we could.
Tom

Back