What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling Engine Mount Ooops

NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
This one kinda hurts. I’m not quite sure what I was thinking. I read and thought I understood what I was doing when I drilled the engine mount to the firewall but I obviously miscalculated. I know what I did wrong and would obviously do it very differently next time.

That being said, here I am. As you can see from the picture, the lower two engine mount bolts didn’t completely take out the pre-drilled hole in the firewall WD-803-L&R weldments. I emailed Vans and their response was that due to the location and nature of the 4130 steel that it is fine to leave it as is. The 4130 steel isn’t as susceptible to developing cracks. They recommended to put a larger washer on the backside of the firewall I assume to spread out the clamping force of the bolt.

I’d really like to weld up the small hole circled in red and ream the engine bolt mounting hole. It’s a difficult location and the steel weldment sandwiches the aluminum spacer and aluminum side angle. Then there is the stainless steel firewall that completes the sandwich. I’m not a welder so all you welders please chime in but I’d imagine it’s very difficult to weld in close proximity to other metals especially aluminum with a much lower melting point.

So my question is do I leave it as is as Vans suggested? I trust their assessment. My concern is someday if I want sell the plane and I would imagine this would be a hard thing for a potential buyer to get comfortable with.

Is it even possible to weld it up? I’ve spoken to a local guy who said he couldn’t do it but I’m not sure if there is someone skilled enough to tackle such a repair.

Anyone else get themselves in this situation?

Attachments

• IMG_1439.jpeg
    IMG_1439.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2366.jpeg
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 217
I emailed Vans and their response was that due to the location and nature of the 4130 steel that it is fine to leave it as is.
Well, Vans is the ultimate authority for this kind of stuff..................

Print off the email, and keep in your build log if you are concerned about future buyers?

Well, Vans is the ultimate authority for this kind of stuff..................

Print off the email, and keep in your build log if you are concerned about future buyers?
The only thing I would add is to make a large washer from 4130 at least .100 thick. AN washers are soft-probably mild steel, and don't do much for that area.
You can't weld steel that is riveted to aluminum.

On my RV7, I drilled the top pre punched holes clean through and then 3/16" hardware store bolts to hold the mount in place while I drilled the bottom holes to final size. I set the mount on the firewall so that all 4 pre-punched holes would fall within the final size diameter. This put the top pre-punched holes a little up and outboard and the bottom pre-punched holes a little down and outward.

I too would trust vans on this. Repairing it is fraught with more risk for further damage. You've got two things going for you. The pre-punched hole is not through the entire stack up and its a small portion of the circumference of the final hole. I expect the bolt head will cover most, if not all of the pre-punched hole and a prospective buyer would need to look VERY hard to spot that.

I'll be drilling the engine mount to the firewall soon. I'm curious, what went wrong and how would you have done it differently?

If I had to do it over again I’d drill all four holes out to 3/16” first. The holes in the weldments are 3/16” so at a minimum you have to drill them out. The firewall has 3/16” holes that align with the holes in the weldment you can use as a guide.

Then I’d hang the engine mount on the 3/16” bolts. None of them will be centered. I’d use oversized washers or a series of washers to basically clamp the engine mount in place and get it where you want it so it fits over all four bolts/holes.

Then I’d remove one bolt and drill it to final size using the engine mount as a guide/drill bushing. I’d probably drill it slightly undersized them ream it to final size 3/8” using the mount as a guide.

Insert the AN6 bolt, washer and nut and bolt that hole. Repeat with the other three holes.

It’s pretty hard to screw it up. I’m just exceptionally good at screwing stuff up.

Last edited:
If I had to do it over again I’d drill all four holes out to 3/16” first. The holes in the weldments are 3/16” so at a minimum you have to drill them out. The firewall has 3/16” holes that align with the holes in the weldment you can use as a guide.

Then I’d hang the engine mount on the 3/16” bolts. None of them will be centered. I’d use oversized washers or a series of washers to basically clamp the engine mount in place and get it where you want it so it fits over all four bolts/holes.

Then I’d remove one bolt and drill it to final size using the engine mount as a guide/drill bushing. I’d probably drill it slightly undersized them ream it to final size 3/8” using the mount as a guide.

Insert the AN6 bolt, washer and nut and bolt that hole. Repeat with the other three holes.

It’s pretty hard to screw it up. I’m just exceptionally good at screwing stuff up.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks

Back