What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Correct Main Bearings

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
These are what I pulled out - SL68763A
This is the current Lycoming Part number - 18D26100
Superior Applicability includes -E3D but not -E2D, FAA PMA shows -E3D and -E2D

Parts catalog show same bearing for -E3D and E2D, but the following:
Superior - SL16711A
Lycoming - 18D23135 or 18D26098

What was pulled out is less than 1/2 the price of what is specified by the parts catalog. What bearing should I used?

I’d give a call to the parts department at Aircraft Specialties Services in Tulsa. They really know the parts and part numbers, and I found I couldn’t beat their prices. Far more knowledgeable than most of us about the parts, and if they somehow steer you wrong, they’ll make it right.

Paul

I’d give a call to the parts department at Aircraft Specialties Services in Tulsa. They really know the parts and part numbers, and I found I couldn’t beat their prices. Far more knowledgeable than most of us about the parts, and if they somehow steer you wrong, they’ll make it right.

Paul

Agreed, ask for David, very knowledgeable guy and always had his word that things would be done right on my DIY overhaul. He has all the cross references and worst case the back shop machinists also have a lot of knowledge. I love that shop they really went out of their way.

Aerosport/ Progressive Air in Kamloops

I replaced my bearings with the same SL68763A crankshaft Bearings a couple months ago on my O320 A2B Narrow deck . Kevin at Aerosport/ Progressive in Kamloops was great to deal with. Kevin supplied me with that bearing number with the locator pin holes.

I believe the Superior - SL16711A bearing does not have the hole for the locator pin/dowell

KEVIN SCHNEIDER
Sales / EXT # 239
2965 Airport Road, Kamloops BC, V2B 7W8
T: 250.376.6226 | TF: 800.264.6019
F: 250.376.1995

progressiveair.com

Kevin Schneider <[email protected]>

Last edited:
I believe the Superior - SL16711A bearing does not have the hole for the locator pin/dowell

You're right the SL16711A pictures I see online don't have the dowel holes...I definitely need the holes that are on the SL68763A, my case has dowels

Agreed, ask for David, very knowledgeable guy and always had his word that things would be done right on my DIY overhaul. He has all the cross references and worst case the back shop machinists also have a lot of knowledge. I love that shop they really went out of their way.

David sent me a quote already...I'll confirm the part number but it's looking like I need the SL68763A with dowel holes. Great news since they're less than half the price!

Back