What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

COM volume adjust GMA245

jfisher

Is it possible to adjust the COM volume on a GMA245 audio panel (or G3X) when using two GTR20 remote coms?

I've been using my headset volume control which is a PIA. The volume control on my Zulu is usually down beside the seat and is awkward to grab and adjust the slider. Plus I have to switch hands on the stick.

Not very handy when things get busy and I'm trying to listen for every transmission coming in at various levels.

For the GTR20 com volume (along with all other functions) are controlled thru the G3X.

As with any COM radio, you adjust the volume of the radio itself, not through the audio panel.

I have the same setup as the OP and just finished install. I am blown away that 1) The GMA245 can not control COM volume and 2) I did not notice that when designing my system.

@mburch - You have a point. But that is exactly what the OP (and myself) are concerned with - adjusting the volume of the radio itself.

Since the radios are remote-mounted, the radio has no physical adjustment. So it has to be adjusted remotely. I know we can tap on the G3X screen and adjust the volume there. But there is no reason why the GMA245 can not also adjust the volume using a physical knob. All of these units on the CAN bus, and they are using that to communicate this volume adjustment.

It would be nice if there was a setting that allowed you to choose what the inner and outer knobs control. In my instance (in a two-seater aircraft), I don't really need to adjust the intercom volume. So I would prefer the left and right inner knobs adjust COM1 and COM2 volumes.

Hope you take this in the spirit in which it was intended... is this perhaps your first exposure to an aviation audio panel?

Back