What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Coax crimpers - best?

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
OK, not like I'm going to make a living crimping RG-400 cables, but I like good tools. So, what's the best crimper for BNC and TNC connectors on RG-400?

I picked up a Daniels AFM8 "little blue" crimper and a snotload of positioners on Ebay for a song, and love it. That lead me to look at their open-frame crimpers, and it looks like something called an HX4 plus a Y197 die, it seems, for RG400. Looks nice, available on Ebay.

Probably others in the high-dollar range that I don't know about, of course.

Then there's the less expensive SAT-001 and SAT-031 combo from Stein.

And, I'm sure there are scads of others out there.

Just an idel question on a Thursday night...what's the best? :)

Steve

If you are going to buy a crimper I think versatility is worth it. With the Daniels you have a crimper for the center pin, so only need the shield.

The Eclipse or PRC with rremovable dies gives you more options for other things, like amp terminals, molex, ect..

Which positioner and setting?

Feel like the DMC or equivalent JReady crimper would be good for the center pin of RG-400 connectors. Which positioner and setting should be used?

I'm using an AmphenolRF 47-10070 crimper. AmphenolRF manufactures BNC and TNC connectors
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/amphenol-rf/47-10070/1012070
And a Tempo Communications PA1255 coax stripper
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/tempo-communications/PA1255/420680

Don't know about "best" but this is all you really need. The crimper crimps two sizes of BNC sleeves and the center pin.

When assembling the pin into the housing, MAKE SURE YOU INSERT THE PIN FAR ENOUGH UNTIL YOU HEAR A CLICK. Sometimes you have to push really hard to seat the pin. I didn't do this recently and found I could file the hex shape on the sleeve so it could be removed, but it was a PITA.

Wrarchet crimper

I have a wratcheting crimper like Stein sells. No idea where I got it but the dies Stein sells fit. I've had it for 30+ years back when I was a service tech. I have dies for radio coax, video coax, molex & faston terminals.
Funny. I've used those strippers and could never get them to work perfectly. I would find scarred wires at the strip point. I'm old/slow school. I bend and scar the jacket with a blade.

Last edited:
I did some tests this morning on 3 connectors. I tried with my AFM8 at largest setting… not good and pin was destroyed. Then I tried crimping the pin with a DMC HDT-48-00 set for 12 AWG. Seems it does a good job. Neat indents and pin cannot be pulled out. For the barrel, I checked crimping dimension after using my AMP RG 58 crimper and it seems adequate. Don’t hesitate if you have comments.

That said, if I have doubt, the 47-10070 mentioned above may be the way to go.

Last edited:
Steinair's SAT-001 frame with the SAT-031 die for aviation coax. It'll crimp the pin and the ferrule for RG-400 and similar as well as the RG-58 stuff.

You can also buy the die for crimping the Amp PIDG stuff. (you're not really using pliers for crimping are you?)

Back