What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Checking Clearances

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
Main bearing clearance check...do I need to put the silk thread on case half?

Seems to me torquing mains to check bore size wouldn't be effected by silk thread on the outer case seam so it's not necessary.

Anyone disagree?

Seems to me torquing mains to check bore size wouldn't be effected by silk thread on the outer case seam so it's not necessary.

Anyone disagree?

correct. More than enough flex in the case to have mains tight and a thou or two for thread clearance on the edges. I don't use thread anyways; just anaerobic flange sealant. Thread is only necessary for those sealants that have a minimum thickness requirement.

Last edited:

Anyone disagree?

I used Locktite 505 for the case halves in leu of thread and it sealed very well.

Attachments

• IMG_4328.jpg
    IMG_4328.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 69
Yep, no thread. The thread method is from the stone age when sealants weren't as effective as they are now.

Thanks lads!

Man...going on 2 months since I last flew the 9. Can't wait to put this thing together. Waiting on Aircraft Specialties with the metal bits. Got delayed 4 weeks due to chroming crank gear pilot :(

Back