What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheaper source for 1” Scotch Brite wheels?

I deburr the edges of skins and larger parts with a 1” Scotch Brite wheel in a mini die grinder, but the little wheels don’t last long.

Some time back, I saw a post mention an online source for less-expensive large bags (quantity 50?) of them, but haven’t been able to find it again. Anyone?

Thanks,
…Bryan

I deburr the edges of skins and larger parts with a 1” Scotch Brite wheel in a mini die grinder, but the little wheels don’t last long.

Some time back, I saw a post mention an online source for less-expensive large bags (quantity 50?) of them, but haven’t been able to find it again. Anyone?

Thanks,
…Bryan

Bryan,
Forget using the 1" drums. First off, they are medium grit. They wear out fast and you can easily create a wave in a long edge. Only use those to deburr round lightening holes.

Better to use the 2" and 3" Roloc discs. These are available in Coarse [steel only] Medium [rough edges on aluminum [maroon] Fine [blue, perfect for de-burring drilled holes and sheet aluminum edges] and Super Fine [gray, I have never needed these. I think they are for polishing soft metals like silver and gold] The discs are cheaper, and with the blue ones, little to no chance of removing material. They are available at Harbor Freight, MSC Direct, eBay and McMaster-Carr.

The correct name is Roloc Type R surface conditioning discs. You can also buy sand paper discs to use the tool for other projects.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/270708482228?hash=item3f077ba0b4:g:hoEAAOSweW5VHDkY&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8LXQqx3LMjVofqw63nzxaKb%2FSu5JgKNHJhA74ozCQPkMsOI49oS%2BN2glBUiI%2FGGK6S6RebSqjkNfijLENKJoaxOCnopJy1%2BAJsaqBbjAyssawZ7%2BfzWqkPG9ANWOjlVi7rqXhAZUIzTvU6Qx8zT1OoCPsRK2ImqxtGgIb7eqejjZRxwoVj98Sy0LTZlyTA8Y5HSSEf9BoDBmLJhhdwy8L7YqL39wYjEMSG2f6Q3sRDfq987oqfqc1wC%2FuzBoChCI4fjX7uTt6k9dYZt8t5KTyYiDHdk7WUbNl8d25RwnZiz7bl6q5AIGZJNjF3s1N0QiIw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMmPiIjpZi

https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-5-2-inch-medium-grade-fiber-grinding-discs-99984.html?_br_psugg_q=roloc+disc

Buy 2 of the below tools. Leave the 2" arbor in one tool and the 3" arbor in the other. Saves time not having to switch arbors.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-front-exhaust-air-angle-die-grinder-52848.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/complete-sanding-disc-kit-43029.html

Charlie

I agree that Roloc discs are the bee's knees and I prefer them to the 1" wheels for deburring edges. However, don't discount the usefulness of the small wheels for things like the inside of lightening holes. I use the coarse grey ones occasionally for rough shaping, and more frequently the maroon ones for smoothing.

I ordered a large assortment of various, grinding, sanding, etc. type supplies from Temu.com. I thought the quality of what I received was at least as good as harbor freight but noticeably cheaper. They had a very good deal.

The search is cumbersome, but searching for the below brought up some interesting potentials-
Roloc Type R surface conditioning discs

Thanks, everyone (especially Charlie for the detailed shopping list!)

I ended up ordering the cheap bag (actually, two, because of the order-size minimum) of 1” wheels from Surplus Sales of Nebraska. They’re definitely softer than the harder ones I’ve bought from Cleaveland; they take off very little material, so you’ll run them against edges for longer than the harder ones, and it’s really hard to keep from wearing them unevenly since you’re running them longer to accomplish the same smoothing. Holding them at an angle helps; I think I got most of my wear when deburring inside edges of lightening holes, where it’s harder to maintain the angle in a circular or oblong opening.

I also bought the Harbor Freight “Roloc-like” kit - using the blue “fine” disk, it’s been great for edge deburring. The maroon “medium” disk worked ok too, but I prefer the “fine” - it took material off more quickly than the cheap 1” wheel, without much wear: I did one pass perpendicular to the edge, then took off the small burrs it left with a quick pass with a hand pad. It also worked pretty good deburring the crannies between flanges. The 3” pad on the 2” holder also worked good, with more clearance for crannies. (Tried using it to scuff a rib surface - that didn’t go so well, so I’ll stick to the maroon or gray hand pads)

Thanks again, all, for the good advice!

Back