What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Challenger filter (reusable)

I’ve been using it for a couple of years. It is easy to inspect and to clean. I purchased extra o rings, which I replace every couple of oil changes. They can be obtained through McMaster Carr for under .50

I use the K&P engineering oil filter (same as challenger), its easy, convenient to clean and inspect.

I’ve been using it for a couple of years. It is easy to inspect and to clean. I purchased extra o rings, which I replace every couple of oil changes. They can be obtained through McMaster Carr for under .50

Hi Bill. Do you by chance have the MC part number? And, do you (or anyone else) know if the same gasket works for the K&P version?

Love it

I have one on my 8 and love it. It’s like making money! Like others, I have a second element which makes oil changes just a bit faster.
Clean out the case, invert the gasket if it’s still good, install clean element and screw it back on.

I soak the dirty one in a clean can of gas, then pour the gas through a coffee filter and forget about it for a day. Use the same gas to clean element. Next day the gas is evaporated and I inspect the coffee filter and use a magnet.
Done. Love it.

K&P as well

I also used the K&P filter. Drilled some holes in the top band for safety wire. Just did my first oil change with the filter. Fantastic being able to just tap out tiny particles instead of the mess with opening a conventional filter can to unravel the paper element.

One thing to note is that oil temp will probably be down. In my case quite a bit, to the extent I may have to put on the oil louvre even for summer.

Also bought an extra insert and gaskets. Just remember this is not a “permanent” filter. Its life is actually about 1250 hours so if you buy an extra element you have many years.

Cheers

Michael B

Oil temp

Interesting! Any idea by how much and why?

It looks to me like about 5-10 degrees but I’ll have to check last summers data and the engine was still breaking in. The “why” is because its a block of aluminum with fins so its a heat sink.

One thing I didn’t need was less oil temp.

Cheers

I checked my old engine data and saw no difference in oil temps when running the K&P vs. a disposable Tempest. Obviously others’ mileage may vary!

I noticed no change in oil temperature either. My engine was well broken in when I switched to the K&P filter.

Ok so it sounds like a good add on. Jerry, I like having the second element on hand. I do the same with my K&N air filter. Have a clean one all ready to swap out with the dirty one. Works well. Thanks All.

I noticed no change in oil temperature either. My engine was well broken in when I switched to the K&P filter.
Same thing here which I was hoping the filter will help with the oil temp. I even added a 1" blast tube and pointed at the oil filter with no noticeable change in the oil temp so I remove the blast tube.

Back