What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CFI Question Student with Rotary Wing Time Transitioning to Fixed Wing Pvt

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
CFI Question Student with Rotary Wing Time Transitioning to Fixed Wing Pvt

Question: How much of a student pilots time in rotary wing can transfer or be applicable to fixed wing (PVT). I think it gets into category and class AND instruction and solo in aircraft for which rating is sought. So none of his training counts towards to fixed wing rating. Obviously this is great aviation experience, which has "positive transference of knowledge" in CFI talk. Just a question, thoughts? For private non 141 it is 40 hours. 10 solo, 20 dual and 10 aircraft (solo or dual). Wonder if some of that 10 hrs "aircraft" can be in different cat/class? A rotary wing is considered an Aircraft (even if they are ugly, ha ha).

The prospective student who contacted me to give him instruction, a former Navy (non flying), has40 hours civilian helicopter training years ago, some solo time, but never finished, but now wants to get his fixed wing rating after a long hiatus. Sharp guy, older Gent, retired from Navy, but commands the the Navy Cadet program in area. Which has him interact with my EAA group.

If it is zero credit towards the PVT he will be fine for that. I am not 100% sure, and asking the question. When he goes to his check ride. He will have an extra previous 40 hours of time.

Last edited:
None of the helo time counts towards fixed wing in regards to how you posed the question. Does he have his rotary wing PPL or Commercial rating? Is he able to apply for FAA equivalency if he doesn’t? (Not sure about retired equivalency but AD guys have no issue with this).

If he had a helicopter private or commercial or ATP, he can, after 20 hours dual and 10 hours solo fixed wing time take his checkride. No written test required. If he has none of this then he has to start from scratch.

If he had a helicopter private or commercial or ATP, he can, after 20 hours dual and 10 hours solo fixed wing time take his checkride. No written test required. If he has none of this then he has to start from scratch.

I agree except for the last sentence. My reading of 61.109(a) is that he needs, at minimum: 20 hours dual + 10 hours solo in a single-engine airplane, plus however much "flight time" (category/class not specified) he needs to get him to 40 hours total. I don't see why previously-logged helicopter time (dual or solo) wouldn't count towards this, regardless of what type of certificate he holds.

In reality he will probably end up with 40 hours or more in the airplane anyway, but with previous helo experience he might end up getting his private with less total airplane hours than the typical average.

Last edited:
Yep that’s correct I was wrong, but if he doesn’t have an FAA license of any sort he will need to take the written knowledge exam.

Back