What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cee Bailey Windshield

howardtlcc

Cee Bailey has an option for either a .125 or .25 front windshield. I assume the .25 is quieter and offers better strike protection from birds.

Other than the cost and weight is there any downsides to the thicker windshield? Thinking of installation issues since I assume the plans are for the thinner windshield.

thanks,

Howard

I just looked at the Cee Bailey invoice from our RV-10 transparency order and the front windshield was 0.25” thick.

It fit fine in the cabin cover joggle using the Sikaflex install method.

How about LP Aero?

I see that LP Aero has windows that are UV blocking (the Cee Bailey is not).

Per LP
UV-SG is 76% light transmittance and 99% UV blocking

Has anyone installed the LP Aero? Comments on fit? Quality? Tinting?

The cost of the windshield is about the same as the Cee Bailey. However, LP is much more for the side windows than Cee Bailey.

I was just looking at these options.

- Cee Bailey Set (Solar Gray), comes in around ~$1,650.
- LP Aero UV Set (Solar Gray), comes in at ~$2,700. (yikes)

While I like the idea of UV protected windows for a cooler cockpit - Jet Shades might be the other option down the road.

One option I considered was Cee Bailey side windows with an LP Aero UV windshield. That combo keep it under $2k, barely.

Would that be worth it, or go all in one way or the other? Probably will wind up with Cee Baileys due to cost.

Well now you have me curious - what is the UV transmittance of a .25" Cee Bailey wind screen?

Per Cee Bailey (Desser)

Thank you for contacting Cee Bailey’s Aircraft Plastics.

Although our solar gray blocks about 10% sunlight, it is not considered “UV blocking” material. We have 3 options, “clear”, “green” and “solar gray. Our solar gray is the most popular.

As for the thickness of the windshield, there is no impact on installation. We make our windshields slightly oversized but there is minimal trimming required.

Just started RV10 build…

I am still in the easy part of the build and decisions to use alternate suppliers is ahead of me. Why choose Cee Bailey or LP Aero over the Van’s standard offering?

Thanks

I am still in the easy part of the build and decisions to use alternate suppliers is ahead of me. Why choose Cee Bailey or LP Aero over the Van’s standard offering?

Thanks

The Cee Bailey windshield conforms to the upper fuselage better than stock. They claim there is little to no trimming required, although that was not my experience. I watched others with the stock windshield and the CB was definitely easier - but still not easy to get the fit I wanted.

Don’t know anything about LP Aero, but if it is 99% UV blocking - that would be a big plus. Didn’t know they existed or I would have seriously considered using them.

Found my invoice - 5 years ago a full set of Cee Bailey plastics was $1609 plus freight. .250' wind screen and .125" windows. I ordered "Gray." If I had it to do over again I'd go with the next shade darker, or as dark as allowable for VFR night flight, if there is such a list specified anywhere.

Found my invoice - 5 years ago a full set of Cee Bailey plastics was $1609 plus freight. .250' wind screen and .125" windows. I ordered "Gray." If I had it to do over again I'd go with the next shade darker, or as dark as allowable for VFR night flight, if there is such a list specified anywhere.

They don't offer darker. That is why I am considering LP. Just wondering if others have used them to get feedback on the fit/install.

Back