What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy rub/chafing protection

jrm7997

Good Morning everyone

I pulled my slider canopy off yesterday and was surprised at how bad the friction/chafing tape is. Most of it was falling off and leaving a dry residue and old tape adhesive. I started with rubbing alcohol and worked my way up the ladder of solvents until i found what worked best to remove it.

A plastic scrapper and a rag with automotive paint prep called "grease and wax remover".

Now that its all cleaned up I'm ready to reinstall the tape. But, my searches here and online leave me wondering what i should use. Vans sells the tape in 2", or wider, and I only need an inch or so wide.

I'm also curious about thickness of the old tape. It seems to be fairly substantial in comparison to a partial roll i have (purchased from Lee valley Item 25U0401, Slippery Tape, 1" x 18').

I notice a few builders are using felt or the soft side of Velcro. Personally, id like to stay with the slippery tape. I have found this at Uline (3M 5423 UHMW Film Tape - 1" x 18 yds.) but I'm not sure about thickness. I'm at home and cant measure a piece of the old stuff. I would think its about 0.025 - 0.035" but not sure.

So I'm wondering what you have used and where you got it from. I'm in Canada near Vancouver and I'm not the builder.

Thanks in advance
Jim

I am sorry don't have a source or name but there is Teflon tape. It is not clear but opaque. You see it but if under of say canopy skirt, it is hidden... works the trick. It is wear resistant and slippery... it is not too thick but does have some thickness.

Lkitson has pointed you in the right direction. As an option do a search for "PTFE Adhesive Teflon Tape" I've had experience with the brown colored tape being used in a pressure and heat sealing application at about 15 cyclers per minute 16 hrs a day. It would last a couple of weeks.

Went with 1” tape

Thanks for the replies. I decide to go with the ASpruce suggestion. 90% of what I needed was 1” and I didn’t want to be cutting strips. This stuff is also the thicker version, 0.012”.

FYI, I’ve used the auto protective stuff on my driving lights (used to stop rocks from breaking the lights glass lens). It’s very different than the slippery tape but is very tough and thin.

Back