What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Cover Issues

Beejer

Canopy cover has disintegrated after a year outside. Finally saw the warning sticker saying “Do not expose to UV rays”.

Oopsie… everything has a checklist. Sometimes it’s only one item long and you still mess it up.

So looking for advice on fabrics to remake this thing with (using the old one as a template) or companies that make good OUTDOOR rated covers. Yes I know I should just get a hangar but I’m in NYC and that is not practically or financially an option.

Also into alternative covers, maybe just an internal cover for the panel? Any ideas are welcome.

It seems to me that Bruce's Covers are the standard bearer these days. If you can make your own cover, you can save a lot of money. I would get a few yards of Sunbrella fabric remnants from eBay. I would also get some yards of some soft fleece material to laminate under the Sunbrella so that the courser, weather resistant material doesn't scratch the canopy too much. Then of course you need the straps and buckles, reinforcement patches and so on. I don't , can't. sew, but lucky if you can.

I think Bruce's is in your future. They are spendy but worth it.

Homebrewing a cover for a plane that is normally hangared but you want a "travel cover" for is a reasonable option. You won't use it much and the process to put it on and take it off will be okay, and the strapping need not be great for the ocassional use.

BUT, for parking outside 24/7 in New York? Please consider the well engineered and well made product that is somewhat of a de facto standard.

Disclaimers: I have no affiliation with Bruce's. My plane lives in a hangar. I do own (and use) a Bruce's cover every time my plane sits out overnight. I usually pay for inside parking at FBOs when avalilable.

Back