What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cannula Source?

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
Where are you sourcing your standard plain cannula? The medical cannula are way cheaper than the aviation sources... is there really a difference?

For reference, I'm using a Mountain High EDS, so I'm not relying on the cannula for efficiency

Medical Supply House

I have used both the standard medical supply house $2 cannulas and an aviation conserving $40 cannula. They both seem to work fine. I haven't noticed a significant difference in oxygen consumption between the two. A google search should show one close to your location. With a finger oxygen meter i keep track and adjust flow rates accordingly

I just get them from Amazon. I also bought the tank and regulator there. I have a couple of cheap Amazon/China pulse oximeters...they work fine, are reliable and accurate but they're inconvenient for continuous use so I bought a Wellue pulse oximeter, which fits on a finger like a ring and can be comfortably worn continuously

With EDS, they tell you to use specific a specific cannula type: "Do not use standard medical cannulas as you may not receive adequate oxygen flow or oxygen conserving optimization." I thought it messed with the triggering but haven't tested it for myself.

If that's not true I'll look into getting some medical ones at least for one-off passengers - the EDS ones are $11 so not terribly expensive.

Back