What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CanCutter.Com Replacement Blades

339A

Well Known Member
Cancutter.com no longer exists, yet I have one of their Can Cutters. It was working great, until the cutter blade broke recently. :( I have searched all over the internet with no joy. Does anyone know where they sourced the cutter blades from?

There are no numbers on it. I can't locate anything the same size through Spruce, Box stores, Grainger... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I don’t have an answer for you but I wonder the same thing. I have a Can Cutter and consider it the finest oil filter cutter ever built. I have a functional blade and I’d be happy to measure it if it helps you. If you find a replacement blade, please post it here. I’d love to have a spare or two.

I checked the McMaster Carr blades, but none of them have the same dimensions as this one. The blade is broke, but I can still measure the one I have. I was hoping someone might remember the name of the guy or have some contact information for Cancutter.

Reed MFG sells all kinds of cutter blades, but they don't list any dimensions on their website. My "Guess" is that the blades came from there, but I need a part number...

The search continues.

Scott

I don’t have an answer for you but I wonder the same thing. I have a Can Cutter and consider it the finest oil filter cutter ever built. I have a functional blade and I’d be happy to measure it if it helps you. If you find a replacement blade, please post it here. I’d love to have a spare or two.

Is it a tubing cutter blade like most of them use? One of these maybe: https://www.mcmaster.com/tube-cutting-blades/cutting-wheels-for-tube-and-pipe-cutters/

Cancutter.com no longer exists, yet I have one of their Can Cutters. It was working great, until the cutter blade broke recently. :( I have searched all over the internet with no joy. Does anyone know where they sourced the cutter blades from?

There are no numbers on it. I can't locate anything the same size through Spruce, Box stores, Grainger... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Unfortunately even their archived website from 2010 had no identifying information regarding the blade:

CC.jpg

These are stock tubing cutter blades but I would need the dimensions of the inner hole and the outer diameter to get a blade to you. It's no big deal for a plumber.... :D

-Marc

Sacramento SkyRanch, that's who I bought it from. Is there any way to contact them anymore? I know they closed a while back.

I tried a plumbing supply house, but had zero luck. The dimensions are, a 1" diameter blade, the hole is 5/16" and the "shank" is 7/16".

Thanks,
Scott

These are stock tubing cutter blades but I would need the dimensions of the inner hole and the outer diameter to get a blade to you. It's no big deal for a plumber.... :D

-Marc

The Can Cutter was a product of Sacramento SkyRanch. The proprietor was John Schwaner.

Last edited:
Cutter Blade Dimensions

Attached a quick drawing of the cutter blade dimensions.

Attachments

• Cutter Blade.pdf
    454.3 KB · Views: 95
I checked my Reed TC2 and the cutter is only 15/16 with a 3/16 hole for the pin. I'll check a Ridgid pipe cutter and get back to you.

-Marc

Well, unfortunately, Reed MFG doesn’t seem to have a replacement wheel that will fit.

Their reply to me:

I’m sorry, I checked through our wheels and we do not have any that match your dimensions.
Joyce

I called Reed and managed to find one that may be close in size. I then found it on Amazon and have ordered it. We'll see if it fits or not. I'll post back here if it does...

Amazing it's this hard to find.

Thanks,

Well, unfortunately, Reed MFG doesn’t seem to have a replacement wheel that will fit.

Their reply to me:

New Cutter Blade

I installed and tried the new cutter blade from Reed Mfg. today. For future reference this is a Reed 30-40 blade. Item # 63665. I was able to order a 2 pack from Amazon for $30.00

The wheel is larger in diameter by about 1/8 inch, but the hub and shaft size were exactly the same. It seemed to work just fine on my test subject. See the pictures below on Google photos.

Someone let me know if the link works, I have it set to public. No longer have a photo sharing site...

Thanks everyone for the help trying to locate this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qrKhroU4Bx1t4W4A9

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow up, and glad it worked. But $15 each, ouch!

I have the can cutter but not the cylindrical doohickey surrounding the filter in your pic - was that an option way back? It's been so long since I bought that thing I don't remember. Or, maybe I have that and misplaced it...

Yes, it was an option. Makes holding the can a piece of cake. The whole thing was rather expensive. It’s always worked really well for me though.

Thanks for the follow up, and glad it worked. But $15 each, ouch!

I have the can cutter but not the cylindrical doohickey surrounding the filter in your pic - was that an option way back? It's been so long since I bought that thing I don't remember. Or, maybe I have that and misplaced it...

Back