What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can this part be saved?

2NinerFoxtrot

I'm New Here
Hi Everyone,
Looks like I might have messed up my first part. A misalignment with my pneumatic dimpler caused me to hit the side of a hole instead of going through the hole properly. I was able to re-align and then properly dimple the hole after the damage had been done, however. This is p/n VS-704 - one of the vertical stabilizer ribs on the 14. Can this part be saved or should I scrap and replace?

Thanks!
IMG_4600.jpg
IMG_4600.jpg
IMG_4600.jpg
IMG_4599.jpg

Scrap it and buy a new rib. That dimpled hole is bound to develop a crack sooner, rather than later.

Totally salvageable. Clean up the burr, make a doubler of the same thickness and use a slightly longer rivet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, both.

If I were to make the doubler, roughly how much area should it cover? Essentially all the way up to the fluting or just enough to cover the "oopsie"?

I'd make it 5/8" x 3/4" or so -- it doesn't need to run the entirety of the flange. Just enough to support the old hole + tear out.

I would go full width and flute to flute. Make sure to buff out the sharp edges on the original dimple first to avoid cracking.

I wouldn’t even THINK about scrapping that part with that minor of damage. A flange doubler shoudl be more than sufficient, but your can go as complicated as you want. I’d do a flange doubler and move on….

This type of repair is perfectly acceptable. Span the hole with a doubler long enough to rivet one rivet each side of the hole on the flange . This holds the doubler in place. Nest the doubler under the flange.
This repair method is documented in one of my WWII manuals which has a remarkable resemblance to AC43.
Not sure which came first?
You will forget it’s there.

Back