What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"California FBOs Ordered To Stop Selling 100LL, Switch To G100UL"

For a 5-point octane boost using that product, it add $1.40 per gallon of cost. That definitely eats into the savings a bit...
I buy 91 in Idaho for less than $4.00 per gallon. It's even lower if you go to the fuel depot and get a tank filled, either trailer or truck bed tank. Then you add that and you are still under avgas. You do what you have to do if you want to avoid states like Cali, Oregon and WA that are always trying to out think themselves.

I buy 91 in Idaho for less than $4.00 per gallon. It's even lower if you go to the fuel depot and get a tank filled, either trailer or truck bed tank. Then you add that and you are still under avgas. You do what you have to do if you want to avoid states like Cali, Oregon and WA that are always trying to out think themselves.
Though not directly related to UL fuel or 100LL replacements another reason MOGAS can be cost effective is the potential to claim a tax credit for non-highway commercial use by filing IRS form 4136. Type of use is 10 Certain helicopter and fixed wing aircraft. Have to keep your receipts and the purchases segregated and certainly get your tax accountants approval. If you are CFI or operating a flight school that is a commercial venture. Flying for business in a business owned plane may qualify. Might not work for all but its not an inconsequential dollar amount. Interesting 100LL and its replacements are considered specific aviation fuels which are handled differently than MOGAS or road diesel. This credit is claimed by farmers and others as a matter of routine to recapture highway fuel tax dollars. The aviation specific credit is actually easier to qualify for than MOGAAS in an airplane. Maybe everyone flying already is aware of this potential tax credit so FWIW....Just trying to save a buck and keep flying!

That's an excellent checklist to use.

If you want to really do it right, rip out the entire ignition/fuel system and install SDS or EFII in the airplane. I prefer SDS for a variety of reasons, but truth be told either will get you there from the hardware aspect.

I'm actually in the process of writing a book about this - literally - but here's a short version.

Avoid anything that adds heat to the fuel (mechanical fuel pump, traditional injection servo) by being bolted to the great big heater up front. If you want to maintain the standard injection setup without a full SDS/EFII install, then install dual electric pumps (plumbed in parallel for possible pump failure, SDS has a very nice fuel pump module for this) in the traditional boost-pump area of the airplane with an Andair full-duplex fuel valve and tank returns. Remove the mechanical fuel pump entirely, you can leave the pushrod in place in the engine without the pump, it will simply fall down out of engagement with the cam driving it and stay along for the ride. The output of the fuel pumps should have a backpressure regulator such as the Borla regulator which can be referenced to manifold pressure, holding back pressure of 40psig or so to the standard Bendix injector servo with the rest of the flow going back to tanks - the standard Bendix servo will be just fine with this pressure, I tested mine to 52 psi inlet in flight with normal ops at 42. Important note here - don't just reroute the excess fuel flow back to suction of the pumps - it will get hot, the fuel is used to cool the electric motors in the pumps, it needs to return all the way back to the tanks to dump heat. Double-firesleeve ALL your FWF fuel lines for heat insulation, from the firewall pass-thru to the servo and up to the injection divider, and put heat-shields on your exhaust anywhere it's close to the fuel lines or servo. Mount your FT-60 (if you use one, or similar) on the cool side of the firewall - it works just fine downstream of the electric pumps and you don't want it absorbing heat in the FWF environment and heating the fuel flowing through it. Eliminate the gascolator if you have one, they serve no purpose on an RV since the low point in the fuel system is actually in the tanks, not FWF. Replace the standard .024" injection restrictors with .022" (for an IO360) from Airflow Performance, that will help increase the pressure in the line from the servo to the divider to keep it from boiling and provide better idle in hot conditions, and the supply pressure in the low-40's range to the servo will still be able to move full-power fuel flow through the smaller orifice. Do repeated GAMI-spread tests with custom injector restrictors to get it tight, these are available from Don Rivera at Airflow Performance. Restrict your timing to 25 degrees for a parallel valve, 20 degrees for an angle valve engine at low altitudes, I ramp mine from a low of 22 degrees at sea level to 29 degrees above 7000' via the SDS programming. Don't run WOTLOP below 4000'. The Airflow Performance purge valve works quite well for hotstarts if you have trouble with them, be sure and put a spring on the actuator to pull it open in the event of a broken control cable. You will have reduced (but still non-zero) detonation margin - so takeoff and climb should be done very fat/rich to keep CHT's down, leaning only once you level out and pick up airspeed for cooling.

That's the Cliffs Notes version.
Now you are in my ballpark. I did just that two years ago ran Costco premium in my 0-360 for a year then RIPPED out the instrument panel, carburation, ignition system and installed Dynon HDX and a full SDS EM-5F fuel and ignition system. NO looking back. Still burning Costco premium. Have a 110 gallon tank/pump system in my van. Never a hard start, Never a worry about heat soak. No worries just flying
My luck varies Fixit

CALIFORNIA ASSEMBLY BILL 1193

Two California senators have introduced a bill which would essentially prohibit the sales of 100LL after 2026. The information they are using to support this legislation is inaccurate and stems from some of the work being done by Pacoima Beautiful, which has been ardently trying to close the Whiteman Airport in Los Angeles. While the bill phases in the 100LL prohibition with respect to population densities and proximity to airports, it will create financial penalties against airports if they continue to sell 100LL past 2026.

The bill is SB 1193 (Senate Bill).
The bill has be referred to Senate committees.
"Referred to Coms. on TRANS. and JUD."

Back