What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying an already-built RV: What advice would you give?

Duncannon

For those who didn’t build there RVs but bought them fully built, what advice would you have for those who want to buy instead of build?

The general rules are:

1- Get a pre-buy (this goes for any aircraft, experimental or certified)

2- Get someone who knows RVs to do the pre-buy, and not just any A&P

3- If you’re not going to perform your own maintenance (at least to start with) make sure you know someone near your area who can before buying. This step may be included with #2, but I’ve heard people recommend not getting the same A&P that will perform maintenance to do the pre-buy inspection, as they may recommend you purchase the aircraft, knowing there is a lot wrong with it, and that’ll be more $$$ in their pocket in the years ahead.

4- Even if you’re not mechanically inclined to start with, learn to do your own maintenance (aside from CI’s), as not only will that help you save money in the long run, but will also help you to know your own aircraft better.

I started a similar thread a couple of years ago.https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=196497

In addition to these rules, what have you learned that you would share with future RV-owners?

I think you have it all covered. I would add, not just someone who knows the RVs, but even better if you can find someone who knows the specific model you're trying to buy. That person would potentially know the specific things to look for in that model that maybe someone who's never dealt with it could miss.

Advise

I think you have it all covered. I would add, not just someone who knows the RVs, but even better if you can find someone who knows the specific model you're trying to buy. That person would potentially know the specific things to look for in that model that maybe someone who's never dealt with it could miss.

That's actually really good advise.
I wouldn't know what to look at specific to other models but I can zoom in on a 7(A).
Funny, I do look at general stuff any time I see another Vans. It's hard to avoid. My eyes go right to shop heads and such.

I have not bought any flying RV so not sure I qualify to answer your question here. Having said that, I do strongly agree with your #2 post. A person that is familiar with RVs can offer much more insight than a standard A&P, this would be especially great if the person is familiar with the specific model. In regards to your #3 concern I would say if you don't trust him/her that much then you might not want to use that place for your condition inspection.
Lastly, if you can find one that includes documentation of the build, especially the electrical part, that would be a big plus. Troubleshooting one's work without any documentation would make it much harder.

Good luck

Find out if the one you want to buy was impacted by the corrosion issues from a few years ago or, if you wind up waiting long enough, has laser cut parts.

Another good point to add is to buy and read Vic Syracuse’s book on pre-buys…tremendous amount of experience there.

Bought my 7A

I contemplated this question a lot before deciding to buy. I was able to purchase one for less than I could build, but the main reason was: At my age, 60, its better to be flying than building.

Good Luck!

More things to expect:
* Expect at least one significant problem that did not show up on the pre-buy. (Expect this with any airplane.)
* Expect with 50% probability that the wiring will need to be redone.
* Expect that you will not have a list of all the various equipment (not just avionics)
* Expect that you will not have a wiring diagram
* Expect that you will not have an avionics diagram
* Expect that the plane will not have had a legitimate Phase 1 flight test, maybe not even a valid weight and balance.

I've owned four RVs and an AirCam. Two did not have significant problems. One needed to be completely rewired, another had a terrible avionics installation from a "professional" shop. All five had all the other issues.

A pre-buy will reduce risk but will not eliminate it. Be prepared to deal with at least one significant issue.

But don't let that stop you -- it didn't stop me!

add a pre-FLY inspection

Lots of good info on a pre-buy to look at the mechanical state of the airplane.

I would add a pre-FLY inspection if you have someone with good all around experience in that type RV... I have flown in 30+ different RVs and have seen quite a bit of difference in performance, flight control rigging, ergonomics of the panel, controls, seats, connections, and this-n-thats that would significantly impact the value of the aircraft and my interest in it.

Good luck!

Expect to loose several potential prospects to people who will lay down a deposit and commit to full price sight unseen.
Sorry...

Check wing incidence angles. If this is off it isn't going to fly right and fixing is no easy job.

After the purchase

You always hear a bunch about a good pre-buy which is important. But it doesn’t stop there.

You need to have patience and time to reverse engineer the build anytime you do maintenance. The “Why did they do this?” If you don’t, you are going to pay every A&P to do the same.

Don’t expect to flip open a manual to find the answer or run over to your local shop to order a part. These are not production aircraft, although they constantly get better, the builder has a bunch of leeway.

Build a local network of RV / experimental expertise. When something breaks you can’t just fly it up to one of the goto RV shops.

Learn the basics of being a builder. How to cut metal, rivet, fiber glass repair, electrical systems. Great 2 day classes on each at EAA.

Just remember - ~50% of a build (non-10/14) is research and learning.

You always hear a bunch about a good pre-buy which is important. But it doesn’t stop there.

You need to have patience and time to reverse engineer the build anytime you do maintenance. The “Why did they do this?” If you don’t, you are going to pay every A&P to do the same.

Don’t expect to flip open a manual to find the answer or run over to your local shop to order a part. These are not production aircraft, although they constantly get better, the builder has a bunch of leeway.

Build a local network of RV / experimental expertise. When something breaks you can’t just fly it up to one of the goto RV shops.

Learn the basics of being a builder. How to cut metal, rivet, fiber glass repair, electrical systems. Great 2 day classes on each at EAA.

Good summary, but should include all the Builders documentation and a good documented discussion with the builder if possible.

Starting from scratch and trying to understand 14 different opinions of "how the wiring/system (for example) should be done" while you are trying to troubleshoot an issue seems counterproductive. Paul's recommendation on Vics Book is a must.

The alternative: find a trusted/experienced RV A&P could be done in advance.

At this point in time with so many flying it seems like a good opportunity to create a national network of RV service centers.

Operator’s Handbook (POH)

Post #5 from Josh- the link to Vans Aircraft’s thoughts on the subject lead you to believe it’s required. Good idea yes but regulations don’t actually require it.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/faq-technical-builder-items/buying-a-flying-rv/

Paragraph 2 of the Paperwork section: “In addition, regulations require an Operator’s Handbook. This handbook is the responsibility of the aircraft builder/owner/test pilot.”

Perhaps Vans could update this section?

And absolutely do like Paul says and get Vic’s pre buy and maintenance books!

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here. Be patient. The right one will come along.

Thanks for the comments on the Prebuy Book. You really do need it. And once you buy an RV, get the Maintenance Handbook for RV's. I've spent a lot of time on these books so you won't need me. :)

Just kidding, but there really aren't any manuals or guidance given anywhere on how to inspect, repair, and maintain your airplane while you own and fly it.

Vic

Last edited:
I built and I bought an already built.
Get Vic's book and read it. Gonna give you some good advice
My threee cents worth and not a penny more. Art

Vic’s book

I’m getting my RV-7 ready to sell. I’m using Vic’s books to make sure it’s ready.

Back