What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottle of wine?

rvdave

Well Known Member
Has anyone taken a new bottle of wine to altitude? I’ve taken tanks of Freon no problem, potato chip bags that have ’exploded’, but unsure about the cork holding the pressure change? Any thoughts or experiences?

Well they get shipped on airliners all the time, cabin pressure is around 8k feet. My guess is it will be fine.

Brought a bottle of red wine to a friend of mine last week, overflying the Pyrenees mountain range between France and Spain, staying at 10.5Kft for about 40 minutes, and guess what? The bottle did not explode and the cork stayed on.

Of course, the cork popped off very quickly once that same bottle of Humagne Rouge des Caves Lipps was handed over to my good friend ;)

If it's never been opened, you should be fine. However, if you pour some out, then re-cork the bottle and then fly, there will be way more trapped air, that at altitude will probably pop the cork again. Ask me how I know:).........

Last edited:
Good info, thanks, I’ll try it end of March for two 3 hour legs and report back, think I’m gonna insert the two bottles into a plastic bag to catch any fine liquid that may escape.

Had multiple bottles of a friends home-built plum wine travel with us. Some of the corks migrated upwards after our 12.5 k flights. None blew out, though. I think I’ll duck tape multiple layers up over the top, down across the bottom next time he offers some. Anxious to make more experimenting with that vintage again,,,,!

We have flown up to Napa, Sonoma, Paso Robles and several other locations to wine taste and bring back bottles. Never had a problem.

I have climbed 14,000 foot mountains in Colorado with a small split bottle to celebrate the top. Never had a problem.

Back