What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose A30 headset reviews

Richard Connell

Well Known Member
I’ve had a pair of A20s in the front seat of the RV10 for 2y. They were previously in my RV7 for many years. I’ve also had some Zulus and Clarity aloft. I’ve generally been happy with all of my headsets.

I bought a Bose A30 a few months back for myself and one of the A20s goes to the back seat now in theory.
I have to say I’d doesn’t really feel like much of an improvement. In fact I think it’s worse. Definitely feels less robust.
But the biggest issue I find is that the ANR seems variable depending on your head position. If I turn my head to look out the window the sound changes slightly. Just enough to be irritating. The A20s don’t do this.
If I cover the vents in the ear cups with my fingers it improves it somewhat. It’s like the ANR sensing is too sensitive.
TBH I’d probably return them if they were still inside the 90days.
I might put in a service request and see if they are faulty too.
Anyone else using them and have any thoughts?

I returned mine. Very little difference but the primary difference was the A30 did not have a coiled cord. (At the time did not offer a coiled cord, maybe still don't) Didn't like it and could not run my O2 tube through the coil as I do now.

Last edited:
I have a few A20s, an A30, Zulu 3, and Delta Zulu. Overall, my favorite is probably the Zulu 3, with the Delta Zulu being my second most favorite.

A30 is roughly equal to the A20, but whereas the A20s give me a headache at the top of my head after 5-6 hours, the A30s do not, so that makes them worthwhile to me. I wore the A30s for 14 hours flying from Croatia to San Diego, and comfort was no issue.

Picked up one A30 w/LEMO plug at AirVenture this year. I like it slightly better than the A20. The A30 feels better across the top of my head than the A20. Cannot tell any difference in noise reduction or sound quality. The A30 has had features added that should have been on the A20.

My wife bought me an A30 for Christmas this year. Tried it out in a short flight and a long 6-hour long flight. My feeling is that although it's more comfortable to wear (less clamping force), the ANR is definitely worse. Ended up returning the A30.

I have used A20s since they came out. Have been very pleased with them.
Earlier this winter my A20s finally died. So bought the A30s and Bose don't make the A20s anymore. After a week I sent them back and bought “new” old stock A20s.
The A30 ANR is strange, the headset didn't feel as sturdy, and they are actually heavier.

Very pleased to be back with the A20.

Back