What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Better replacement for Torque Seal

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
(Note: I don't want this to turn into a debate about whether fastener marking is useful or necessary... if you don't do it on your airplane, that's fine with me)

I used to use Torque Seal before it disappeared from the market, apparently on account of the factory burning down. Then I switched to Dykem Cross-Check, which I never liked quite as well, finding it messy and harder to apply. I also tried Permatex Bolt Mark, which turned out to just be the Dykem product rebranded. Ditto nail polish, which never stays where I put it.

I finally got around to trying Vibra-Tite Viz-Torque and I like it better than Dykem, and about as well as good old Torque Seal. It's cheap, dries quick, does what it says on the package - and most importantly, doesn't squirt messily everywhere like Dykem always does. I got a tube from Amazon and will be ordering another as a backup.

20230715_viz_torque.jpg

Last edited:
Bolt marke

I have five tubes. I like it.
Nail polish worked but it has to evaporate to the right consistency then it's only good for a short time. Adding acetone helps bring it back
Too much maintenance.

Food for thought.....Get it in a couple of colors. Use one color for initial use and a different color for anything that has been removed and reinstalled after that point. Use a different color for anything that gets moved during your CI.

We use multiple colors at work and by the color, you can tell where things were last torqued. Initial install uses one color, final assembly uses another and we use a third on the flight line. Vendor use a couple of other colors that we do not use.

Thanks for the heads up.

Have had similar experience except nail polish has worked well for me.

Amazon Subscribe and Save ended up being the best price for me.

Back