What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Method of Removing Spin-On Oil Filter Internal Media?

Kuhtenia

Various ways/tools to cut open a spin-on oil filter are posted from time to time, but not much in terms of getting the pleated filter media off of the internal spool for inspection. Any good methods out there beyond a sharp utility knife?

I hate to see folks sawing away at filter pleats. Risky for fingers, and tends to contaminate the media.

Get a sharp knife with stiff blade about 4" long. Plunge the tip through the media so the tip is tangent to the core tube, then lever downward. Repeat.

Attachments

• Filter Cut.jpg
    Filter Cut.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 81
I found it super easy if you do the following.

Put on a pair of gloves. Place the media on an old cutting board.

Next, take a pair of needle nose pliers and give the metal strip that goes across the media a good twist. You can then pull it out.

Next, using a large serrated bread knife (Walmart) just cut around each end. It'll slice right through it.

Then, grab the media where the metal strip was removed and it'll pull right off of the metal core.

+1 - Not that Dan needs any help . . . .

I hate to see folks sawing away at filter pleats. Risky for fingers, and tends to contaminate the media.

Get a sharp knife with stiff blade about 4" long. Plunge the tip through the media so the tip is tangent to the core tube, then lever downward. Repeat.

I have tried different knives and techniques, and with oily, slipper hands, this one is the best - and what is used today.

gutting an oil filter

Slice element edges like you would an apple (obviously not including the core) with a sharp new blade.
Quick & clean cutting.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Or try side cutter dikes with long enough cutting nose to reach deep in the pleats. You may not get the very inner pleat area but that'll just pull out once you get both side cut.

I use that box cutter with the guide attached that RV7AFlyer linked. Using a fresh blade every time makes it a lot safer because you don’t have to push as hard.

I don’t remember it being that expensive, though.

I don't cut the pleats out any more. just spread them apart one at a time and take a look and even pass a small magnet thru there. only once on my first engine I saw the heart stopping view of LOTS of metal. passing the magnet thru it produced a ton of FUZZ on the magnet. :eek:

I use an old K-bar knife that I keep VERY sharp (that I found!) and push down as I roll the core. The size and stiffness of the blade makes it pretty easy.

Or try side cutter dikes with long enough cutting nose to reach deep in the pleats. You may not get the very inner pleat area but that'll just pull out once you get both side cut.

I do it this way also. No saw detritus and no worries about slicing a finger.

Printed Version of Kit Planes Filter Cutter?

It seems that would be printable.

I would be nice if someone made a printed version of the Kit Planes filter cutting "lathe". The metal one would be nice too, but some of us don't have the high priced metal working machinery required to produce it. (metal lathe & milling machine).

Oh well, maybe some day.

Back