What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahamas trip

Mike K

Planning my first trip to the Bahamas in a little more than a week. Flying VFR from Kansas so trying to hold off on hotels until the last minute due to possible weather delays.

Was hoping Staniel Cay but seems like most of the hotels are already booked. Current alternative is Grand Bahama but was hoping to work up a few more alternates.

Anyone have any favorite destination and hotel suggestions?

Thanks

MYAF

We flew into MYAF and stayed at Small Hope Bay lodge. No fuel there and resort is a little pricey, but nice secluded place to relax.

Have a great trip

I am interested in the Bahamas too. I was only brave enough to look at Grand Bahama because it was the closest. Maybe I should reconsider other islands.

Best of luck on the weather. I havent been watching Kansas but it has been **** for flying in MI. I an interested in your route and other planning you are doing. Take pictures and let us know how everything goes.

I fly to the Bahamas regularly. Depends what your looking for. I LOVE the out islands where it is not very touristy and you are free to explore island life. If you do one of the smaller islands, you need to get a car- you will be driving. Otherwise, Abaco, Grand Bahamas, Marsh Island, Freeport are the larger destinations. Plenty of resorts and you won't need a car.

My favorite place is on Eleuthra. North Eleuthra has customs, fuel, and is basically just like an airport in the states. Governors Harbor just a bit further south is very remote and what a great town! Plenty of Air-BNBs here as well as a couple really nice $$. Food is expensive anywhere on the islands but everything else is pretty reasonable.

PM. me if you want contact info for Eleuthra.

FWIW I like flying to Exuma (MYEF), a bit further down the chain but an easy flight from Ft. Pierce (KFPR). Not as expensive as Nassau or Freeport, has Customs/Immigrations at the airport, less expensive fuel and yes you can have fun feeding pigs that swim.

swimming-with-pigs-exuma.jpg

Give me a heads up if you fly near St. Augustine (KSGJ) on your way to/from the Bahamas. Maybe we can meet up for lunch.

:D

Last edited:
Best trip we ever took.

Ferry to Green Turtle Cay - stayed two nights, then on to Governor's Harbor on Eleuthra. Stayed two nights there then on to Staniel for three nights. Rented a car on Eleuthra and a small skiff came with our room at Staniel. Great memories. Try to stay away from all of the normal tourist islands. Just do it!

Out islands are the best.

There are so many great places to go. Banyan aviation has a nice pdf brochure you can access on their fbo page that is very helpful.
https://www.banyanair.com/flying-your-plane-to-the-bahamas/

and the complete guide....

https://www.banyanair.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/bahamas-pilot-guide-2018-2019-web.pdf

Here is one from bahamas with discounts at some places.
https://www.myoutislands.com/bahamas-vacation-packages/private-pilots-fly-almost-fee-free

If you want rustic but decent places likes Hawksnest are great, good food, and their own runway on cat island...decent but beach isnt much.
Exuma is excellent, lots of places to stay from vrbo to smaller resorts like hideaways.
One of our all time favourites is Cape Santa Maria resort on long island. Customs and fuel at stella marais airport and easy cab to Cape Sant Maria. Stay in the basic beach from homes, not the fancy condos. Nicest beach in the world... truly it is amazing for a few nights.
https://www.capesantamaria.com/ (note they take 15% off for private pilots)

Many resorts that arent listed on flyers will offer a private pilot discount.

Get to the islands...learn to gear down and expect a little slower level of service on island time and enjoy the beauty. LOVE the bahamas.

Last edited:
follow up

The only part we have ever found stressful about island flying is getting out of the US and back in. Fort Pierce and Ft Lauderdale are really busy, lots of traffic in and out and transiting. They will basically launch you and forget you. Trying to reach palm beach or miami for flight following and squawk code to cross adiz is sometimes tricky, or getting permission to turn on course instead of just launched east can be a battle.

Having frequencies and back up frequencies handy is crucial. Same with coming back into US, you are going from super laid back island flying to ADIZ crossing, international flight plan, super busy air space and customs landing time so ensuring you are ready and can get the info and are not playing catch up are the tips I would give.

As soon as you exit US air and see the Islands.... OMG it is just the best thing ever, especially if sunny clear day where the colours pop, just amazing oasis. Fly low down the island chains, listen for traffic and it might just be the best flying trip of your life. :)

Last edited:
I second the Bahamas pilots link above. Great info there. Remember- it is a 3rd wold country. Most runways suck, island time really is a thing, so don’t get wrapped around a schedule. Smile and take cash, as most entry airports don’t take cards unless you are using a handler at the FBO. People are very nice and easy to get along with. Beaches are FANTASTIC but you will probably not feel pampered unless your going to a big island.
I really enjoy driving around, stopping at small restaurants and road side shops. Just getting lost for a day and finding a private beach off the beaten path is awesome.

Plane stuff- you have to make sure the airport you FIRST land at is an AOE ( airport of entry). Pay your bill and get your tourist visa. Request a C7 (island hopping permit) and you can go anywhere you like. When you leave the country stop at another AOE. Hand in the tourist visas and pay your exit fees and head back to civilization.
I highly recommend Fort Pierce to clear customs.

If it is your first trip- call the FBO at north Eleuthra, Freeport, or Abaco and ask them for “handling services”. It cost a fraction of your bill and you can pay with a credit card to the FBO and not worry about cash to customs and immigration and the fuel truck and security- etc.

I have had to use rocks for chocks, bring your own tie downs, lock the bird up. I’ve never had an issue but be smart.

Exumas

I would recommend the Exumas. Georgetown is a great place to stay. The Family Island Regatta is held in Georgetown harbor in the spring and worth checking out.

Wanted to say thanks again for all the suggestions. Returned home last night from a great trip to Long Island Bahamas. 20 hours flying time round trip from Hays,Ks. Great experience with Customs at both Stella Maris and Fort Pierce. Best vacation I have ever had!
Mike

Back