What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bad fuel pump?

Chipper G

Well Known Member
Turned my fuel pump switch on today for the first time with power and the Vans provided electric pump went thud and nothing else. The pull a ton of power but does not spin or pump fuel. This is inop correct or am I missing something

Chip====AFP pump? if so make sure it has fuel in the inlet. Power on then strike the motor and see if it works. (Kinda like the old Burton FD trucks). If not, pull it and put it on the bench and retest.

Tom

Mine does that occasionally. Cycle the power a bunch of times--very quick on the ON side to avoid overheating--and eventually the foreign particle in the pump will get dislodged.

Chip====AFP pump? if so make sure it has fuel in the inlet. Power on then strike the motor and see if it works. (Kinda like the old Burton FD trucks). If not, pull it and put it on the bench and retest.

Tom

Right! I miss old 822 that old bean was fun! I will try that and see what happens. I have out. It has never been ran

This is not that uncommon. They put a preservative oil in there and over the years it gets kind of sticky. I would follow the on off recommendation above to see if you can break it loose. Also wouldn't hurt to use pressure to flush some fuel through it first to loosen things up. I flushed my fuel system out before connecting the servo. What came out was very yellow and foamy. Did not look like gas.

Last edited:
Back