What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AW certificate doesn’t match the Tail Number

Taltruda

Well Known Member
Friend
How do I go about fixing this.. the Airworthiness Certificate doesn’t match the tail number, but it DOES match the Serial number? I believe the tail number was changed years ago and the AW certificate wasn’t matched up.. is this something that can be reissued? Or does the plane need a DAR to go over the whole thing again?

How do I go about fixing this.. the Airworthiness Certificate doesn’t match the tail number, but it DOES match the Serial number? I believe the tail number was changed years ago and the AW certificate wasn’t matched up.. is this something that can be reissued? Or does the plane need a DAR to go over the whole thing again?
Tom,
A DAR or the FAA can reissue a new certificate due to a N number change. Wont be a full blown inspection, they just have to make sure the plane is in an a condition for safe flight.

Several years ago I purchased an aircraft that had an N number changed that didn't match the A/W cert. My fault when purchased.
I called the local FAA office and they issued a new A/W with the proper N number with no aircraft inspection. It may have helped since I searched the original N number and saw it was now on a Falcon Jet.

Tom,
A DAR or the FAA can reissue a new certificate due to a N number change. Wont be a full blown inspection, they just have to make sure the plane is in an a condition for safe flight.
Do not forget that the Operating Limitations for an Experimental Aircraft also must match the special Airworthiness Certificate and registration number.

Do not forget that the Operating Limitations for an Experimental Aircraft also must match the special Airworthiness Certificate and registration number.
Yup.. I caught that also.. apparently the plane has has 4 different tail numbers over its life.. the AW is showing the second tail number, the OL are showing the original tail numbers.. I called the local FSDO and he may be able to reissue them over the phone.

Now, when a new AW certificate is requested, it comes with the OL's as part of the new AW document. You will need to fill in the your Phase 1 data on the new OL's. Had to do this a few months ago.

Now, when a new AW certificate is requested, it comes with the OL's as part of the new AW document. You will need to fill in the your Phase 1 data on the new OL's. Had to do this a few months ago.
Phase I flight test data is a maintenance log entry. It is not required to be entered on the Op Lims themselves.

It's all done online in one day if you can get a good FSDO inspector who knows what he's doing on the phone, or weeks after an online complaint filed in Washington if he thinks he knows and is an azz. I went through that yet again at the North Dallas FSDO some months ago. Coincidentally I actually got a call from the FSDO manager yesterday because he wants to make sure the clueless inspector gets retrained. That is a positive sign of progress there, he said he needed to remind the inspector that the FAA is here to serve the pilots. WOW, I loved that !!

When I brought my plane from another state I had to let the new FSDO know it was here and I got a great inspector who knew what he was doing. We got it done quickly and he sent me a new A/W and ops limits for my plane. A couple months later when I got my new N number assigned and needed to update the A/W again, I got a clueless inspector and it was horrible.

I hope you get someone knowledgeable so your experience is quick and pleasant.

Last edited:
Phase I flight test data is a maintenance log entry. It is not required to be entered on the Op Lims themselves.
To clarify, I was making reference to the airspeed data that is entered on the OL for reference by anyone who flies the aircraft.

Back