What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone got their new registration yet?

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
I have my registration expiring in August, it was my understanding the FAA was going to send out the new extended registrations starting in February with a focus of those expiring first. Anyone got their new one yet?

Hmmmm looks like you got yours the same month of the expiration date. Maybe that's how they are approaching it.

The FAA appears to be sending them out about a month before the original expiration date. I got my new card in the mail right after the rule change was approved, and it would have expired in May. A buddy just got his last week and his would have expired in July. I would imagine there's quite a backlog for the feds, so they're issuing them as needed to keep people "legal".

Hmm, I received mine last year & have an expiration date of 7/31/3029

WOW, any plastic you have in your plane will decompose before your registration expires.

How long does plastic take to decompose?

Plastic can take anywhere from 20 to 500 years to decompose, depending on the material’s structure and environmental factors such as sunlight exposure.

As a matter of fact, if you go to the FAA web site (‘N number lookup’), there is a note in red that says if the web site shows you are unexpired, you’re good to fly, even if your paper certificate has expired!

The duration of aircraft registration certificates has been extended up to 7 years. The Registry will be issuing revised certificates in batches based on the former expiration date. For verification purposes, even though the expiration date on the registration certificate may not match the expiration date in the FAA Aircraft Registration database, any registration certificate displaying an expiration date of January 31, 2023 or later is still valid. This applies to all foreign Civil Aviation Authorities or anyone else with a verification need.

FAA Registration website

Ok, ok, I fat fingered it. 7/31/2029.
I hope I don’t expire by then.

WOW, any plastic you have in your plane will decompose before your registration expires.

How long does plastic take to decompose?

Plastic can take anywhere from 20 to 500 years to decompose, depending on the material’s structure and environmental factors such as sunlight exposure.

I had an expiry of 2024 and got TWO registrations for 2028 expiry about 10 days apart. The 2028 registrations were not requested.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, if you go to the FAA web site (‘N number lookup’), there is a note in red that says if the web site shows you are unexpired, you’re good to fly, even if your paper certificate has expired!

FAA Registration website

Thanks for this guys. I have been wondering if this was the case but didn't see it on the website. I wasn't the only one confused by this after talking to some peeps around the airport...

Mine shows 4/30/2030

Be cautious when updating, had an outfit send me a form to fill out: Fee was $85. I did a FAA search and cost was $5.

Mike

I wasn't the only one confused by this after talking to some peeps around the airport...

Well, there's the explanation. LOL! I wish I had a dollar for every piece of flat-out wrong "information" I've heard from old airport dogs. And some not-so-old ones. :)

Well, there's the explanation. LOL! I wish I had a dollar for every piece of flat-out wrong "information" I've heard from old airport dogs. And some not-so-old ones. :)

That’s the beauty of responsible forum usage I guess. Eventually hard facts will come out if you look long enough! Haha

Back